VMware Cloud Community
billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

replacing a vcenter in vsphere 5.1

Hello,

We have a global vsphere 5.1 environment with vcenters in around 10 locations.

Our first and primary vcenter is in the UK and has been upgraded since vmware 3.5.

Basically, it runs like a dog and we have done everything we can to optimise the SQL database etc and we are still having problems.

We want to build a new vcenter and replace it and start with a new database... it will also be virtual rather than physical.

I'm fine with all that other than the SSO.  This is the primary SSO that the other site locations SSO are connected to it.   Is there a way to promote one of the other SSO, or when we create the new SSO connect them to it?  We have decided not to upgrade to 5.5 as 5.1 does everything we need and  upgrading 10 vcenters would cause more disruption that it's worth.

If anyone could point me towards any info on how we can best do this I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Bill

Bill Dossett
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
vNEX
Expert
Expert

Hello,

purely at SSO transition... you could simply backup your current SSO primary node and restore it on different "brand new" server.

For more info see:

Restore a vCenter Single Sign On Single or Primary Node Instance to a New Host Machine

or

there was some KB article about  this topuc which is not accessible at this time but it was just about to copy "<SSO directory>\webapps\sso-adminServer\WEB-INF\web.xml"

from the primary to secondary instance and then restart SSO service ... but obviously for some good reason this procedure/KB was withdraw by VMware so do this at your own risk...:)

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos