VMware Cloud Community
arumon
Contributor
Contributor

re installing esx4 server

Hi Friends,

Please let me know the standered practice to reinstall the esx server which got harddisk crash on a HA and DRS cluster.

Regards,

Arumon

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

First, i Wohle do some initial backup beforehand.

Save this Folders

/etc/passwd The password file containing the local users for the VMware ESX Server host service console.

/etc/shadow The shadow password file containing local users and encrypted passwords for the VMware ESX Server host service console.

/etc/group The group file for containing local security groups for the VMware ESX Server host service console.

/etc/grub.conf The boot information for the grub boot loader.

/etc/vmware The configuration files for VMware ESX host.

/boot The boot partition for VMware ESX host. It should be noted that these should be default.

/home/ Any user information that is stored on the home directory on the local machine

After that

Re-install ESX with the same partition configuration as the original host.

SFTP files back on.

Remove the /etc/vmware & /boot directories by typing the following commands

1. cd /

1. rm –Rf /etc/vmware

1. rm –Rf /boot

Restore the backup set on the new ESX host. Be sure to overwrite existing files on restore!

Reboot.

Than bring the Host back to the Cluster

frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
arumon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply.

My question is, Do i need to do any thing on the cluster level (remove or disconnect from the cluster like that?) because the scenarionis the esx server crash. Just forget about the backup stuff.

Regards,

Arumon

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

when the Host crash, you have two options.

When you get them back with the same name and back from restore, a reconnect shuld be enough

When you make a new insall with a different name then disconnect the old one and add the new one back to the cluster.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
arumon
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Jim..... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
arumon
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Jim.... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos