VMware Cloud Community
5truja
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"green" vmfs volume

Hi,

I just upgraded to vSphere and I noticed that one of the my vmfs volumes apperas as green line when I list my /vmfs/volumes content by using command line. The only thing I know concerning vmfs volumes is that red colour is not good. I did not see green before. Any possible theories behind this? I accept even if theories are of environmental nature Smiley Wink like "green vmfs volume featue". I have attached file showing this. Did I miss something?

MCTIP,VCP3,VCP4,VCP5,VCA-CLOUD,VCP-CLOUD,VTSP
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
brainslice
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The colors are just a function of your shell to display permissions.

Some examples attached. One is a listing of the /vmfs/volumes directory on one of my ESX4 servers.

That volume definitely should not be world writable though. #chmod go-w filename

SP

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dgoldsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Its green due to the permissions of the directory. The directory for that volume, and the parent directory, both have "write" permissions enabled for both the group and other columns. The other two VMFS volume directories do not have the write bits set fro group and other -- just for the owner.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Green indicates that you are able to modify it

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Not only you can modify it actually. In linux world drwxrwxrwx equal to 777. Meaning, all user can access & modify it . This is madness.

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
brainslice
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The colors are just a function of your shell to display permissions.

Some examples attached. One is a listing of the /vmfs/volumes directory on one of my ESX4 servers.

That volume definitely should not be world writable though. #chmod go-w filename

SP

0 Kudos