VMware Cloud Community
daveclaussen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"Convert" an ESXI4 server to an ESX4 (VMware Essentials) server.

I have two, existing ESXi4 servers that run great. I wanted to have the ability to monitor, deploy from template and backup (VCB) on these machines. I have purchased a VMware Essentials license. ( three servers / six sockets).

My question is...Do I need to reinstall to make the servers ESX4, or just enter the new Essentials key on each ESXi4 server and add them to my vCenter server?

To be honest, I have entered the new Essentials key on each ESXi4 server and added them to my vCenter server. My issue is that they are still showing as ESXi 4 servers. AND, update manager still shows them as ESXi servers. Is this OK? Everything seems to be working fine.

As always, thanks for your time everyone.

- Dave Claussen

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no functional difference between ESX and ESXi. It is simply a choice with a purchased install. Moving forward ESXi will be the only version available.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

all you need to do to change the feature set is apply the new license key(s). If the proper key(s) have been applied, you should be good to go.

DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no functional difference between ESX and ESXi. It is simply a choice with a purchased install. Moving forward ESXi will be the only version available.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

oops.. Sorry, didn't quite read the thread correctly. But, as David stated, there is no functional difference between classic ESX and ESXi. However, there is no upgrade path, it will be a rebuild.

0 Kudos