VMware Cloud Community
ehtesham_ali
Contributor
Contributor

no network adapters detected.....

Hi all

we  purchased HP Z420  workstation  and  tried to install  ESXi  5  on it but it returned  an  error and stop  installaiton saying " network adaptort " are not detected.

we also tried HP servers customised esxi  5 image  but it reported same problem,

is  their  any work around ...please let me know

broadcom netxtreme adapters  are widely used and  i  guess  their is  some  hope  for me to get  rid of this error .

thanks 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

unfortunately neither the Z420 workstation, nor the CPU and NIC are supported by ESXi. You may be able to overcome the NIC issue by replacing the current NIC with the NC360T, which is also available for this system. However there's always a risk of running into other issues (e.g. disk controller, ...) with a "white box" system. If this system is intended for testing/lab purposes this may be fine, but I would not recommend to use it in production!

Please check the HCL at http://www.vmware.com/go/hcl for supported systems and components.

André

0 Kudos
BilBens
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am in the same opinion that André. The system is not recommend to use it in production.

After you have verified the compatibility of hardware you can create a custom ESXi injecting the drivers for the network card.

Using the vSphere ESXi Image Builder CLI to creating a custom ESXi installation image

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2012/04/using-the-vsphere-esxi-image-builder-cli.html

Please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points to those Answers you found useful or correct.
0 Kudos
ehtesham_ali
Contributor
Contributor

Hi BilBens,,

Z420 is not in supported  models  .  i dont think ESXi Image Builder CLI will work ..can you please confirm this ?

thanks

0 Kudos
BilBens
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

your problem is with a network card. Try to create a custom ESXi installation image with the appropriate driver

Please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points to those Answers you found useful or correct.
0 Kudos
nileshm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

- Please check a hardware compatibility list if your system is supported

- Download the latest ESXi compatible drivers for your NIC card and select these drivers as additional device drivers at the time of ESXi installation.

0 Kudos