VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

moving vcenter from 4.0 to 4.1

I have a new vcenter running 2008x64. Also still have the 4.0 vcenter running. I already disconnected one datacenter and reconnected my hosts on the 4.1 vcenter.

How do I move the database or do I need to? The db is on another sql server.

Also can new vcenter 4.1 use 4.0 update manager? Do I need to setup new server for update manager

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can migrate the database if you're interested in keeping historical data. If that's not important you might as well start from scratch.

I believe you need to have Update Manager in the same version as vCenter.

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can migrate the database if you're interested in keeping historical data. If that's not important you might as well start from scratch.

I believe you need to have Update Manager in the same version as vCenter.

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You only need to use the same database if you want to keep your old data. If you think this will not be useful, keep the new database (you will have less headache if you keep it. Migrating require some steps, listed here: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_upgrade_guide.pdf)

Update Manager 4.0 is not supported on vCenter 4.1 (http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_compatibility_matrix.pdf). The installation is on the same bundle of vCenter 4.1, and you can install it easily connecting it to your 4.1 vCenter.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
tdubb123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

thanks

0 Kudos