VMware Cloud Community
alexsm1
Contributor
Contributor

lsi 9260-8i and esxi 5.1

i've installed esxi 5.1 as a virtual machine on usb stick using vmware workstation 9.0. everything went smoothly and then downloaded vsphere client after configuration of esxi 5.1. in the configuration page of vsphere client in storage adapter section i am not seeing my LSI adapter.i have raid storage in lsi that is 2.8tb. i have read everying up on that but cannot figure out what i am doing wrong. as i understand all the drivers already come installed with esxi 5.1. and i have checked compatability of lsi 9260-8i, it does support vmware. maybe someone can point me in the right direction. thanks in advance

0 Kudos
7 Replies
alexsm1
Contributor
Contributor

anyone?

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert

Seeing the built-in drivers for VMware version 5.0 U1 are different then the ones in the 5.1 version, it might be that what's causing the issue. You can download newer drivers from the website of LSI: Direct link to drivers

Installing drivers

Hope this helps solve the issue.

0 Kudos
alexsm1
Contributor
Contributor

I did exactly that. I have the latest driver installed... In vsphere client. Lsi controller does show up, but its the wrong one. It sees the onboard controller lsi sas1068. But it does not recognize 9260-8i... Is there anything else that you think can be done? Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert

Did you try disabling the other Controller in the BIOS?

Maybe it blocks the one you intend to use?

0 Kudos
alexsm1
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't think of that.. let me go ahead with that and give it a shot

0 Kudos
alexsm1
Contributor
Contributor

that did not work for me. but whats interesting is that lsi1608 controller listed in vsphere client has the 40g virtual hard drive that was created from the raid on lsi 9260-8i adapter, which has a total of 2.8tb of storage. the right controller that ought to be listed in the client is lsi 2108.. i dont know what else to think of?..

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert

So the controller your not using is showing up in VMware with a 40Gb partition? How is that possible, did you connect it as well maybe?

Is the rest of your system compliant with the VMware matrix?

0 Kudos