VMware Cloud Community
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

is this too much on one virtual host?

I currently have Vcenter 5 and Update Manager running on the same virtual machine.

The database (SQL 2005 SP4) for both these products is installed on this virtual machine as well.

The current specifications for the server is 2 cpus and 10 GB of ram.

This configuration has worked well for us and I'm leaning towards installing SSO on the same machine when upgrading to 5.1.

Am I putting too many applications on the same box?

Your opinions are appreciated

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

SSO wont load the vCenter Server much until unless there are too many users administrate vCenter or connect to vCenter for managing. SSO performance is a

We are running SSO and vCenter on same VM and its running absolutely fine so far.

Also consider these answers in FAQ.  http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203491...

Why would I install SSO on a separate machine from vCenter Server?

If SSO is on the same machine as one of your vCenter Servers, and the machine goes down, you will lose not only that vCenter Server, but also the ability to log into all your other vCenter Servers.

Why would I install SSO on the same machine as vCenter Server?

vCenter and SSO on the same machine is the default configuration, if you have only one vCenter Server instance.

How many vCenter Servers can an SSO instance serve?

SSO poses no restriction on the number of vCenter Servers registered to it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vMario156
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This totally depends on the size of your environment.

I have seen a single server on a customer site running vCenter, SQL 2008 Std., Web Client, Update Manager & SRM absolutly fine ( < 100 VMs). Of course in most of the offical documents it´s recommended to put vCenter and the DB on two different systems but for small deploments I think it´s totally fine.

Regards,

Mario

Blog: http://vKnowledge.net
Tree_Dude
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We run the same way. Everything on one VM (2 CPU, 6GB RAM). According to VMWare this config is supported for up to 5 hosts and 50 VMs. We are a little over that with no real issues. If your performance starts to suffer I would recommend moving the DB to a full SQL server first. That is the biggest bottleneck of this setup both because it is sharing the resources and because the express edition of SQL only allows for 4 data connections.

Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

SSO wont load the vCenter Server much until unless there are too many users administrate vCenter or connect to vCenter for managing. SSO performance is a

We are running SSO and vCenter on same VM and its running absolutely fine so far.

Also consider these answers in FAQ.  http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203491...

Why would I install SSO on a separate machine from vCenter Server?

If SSO is on the same machine as one of your vCenter Servers, and the machine goes down, you will lose not only that vCenter Server, but also the ability to log into all your other vCenter Servers.

Why would I install SSO on the same machine as vCenter Server?

vCenter and SSO on the same machine is the default configuration, if you have only one vCenter Server instance.

How many vCenter Servers can an SSO instance serve?

SSO poses no restriction on the number of vCenter Servers registered to it.

0 Kudos