VMware Cloud Community
Puneet7741
Contributor
Contributor

installation problem with ESXi 5.0

hi I am a newbie to VMware community.

I am trying to install my first ESXi 5.0 host on my dell OptiPlex 990 system using the customized ISO burned on a dvd.

I downloaded the iso from VMware site and customized it using ESXI customizer to inject drivers for my onboard lan card (intel 82579LM) using the links given on this website:

ESXi 5.x Installation on Intel NUC fails with “No Network Adapters” | Virten.net

now it is no longer giving me error "no network adapters found" and installation is continuing beyond that point:

but now installation stops at 43% and gives the below error:

"an unexpected error has occurred: no such file or directory '/tardisks/net-e100.v00/'"

and when I check the contents of my dvd it shows several files having names like: net-e100.v01, v02, v03 etc. but v00 isn't there so am I missing a particular file or something in the ISO?

now could someone please tell me why is it occurring and how can I install the ESXi host 5.0 successfully?

regards

Puneet kumar

0 Kudos
5 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander

Looks a versioning issue...Instead you install default esxi iso and install network vib later using esxcli command.

Copying network card vib to esxi....convert using magic iso in iso format and mount it...

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Install by skipping the ks=usb item, and adding -p 1 to the APPEND line in the syslinux.cfg

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
Puneet7741
Contributor
Contributor

hi abhilash,

can u give me the steps in detail?

regards

puneet

0 Kudos
Puneet7741
Contributor
Contributor

but if i use default esxi iso it stops saying "no network adapters found on the system" so i customize the iso and burn on the dvd and start the installation of customized iso on the system...can u give me the steps to inject network vib file during/before the installation process using esxcli command if any?

regards

puneet

0 Kudos
TommyFreddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please have a look followings link ..

VMware KB: Installing async drivers on ESXi 5.0/5.1/5.5

Take care!

0 Kudos