VMware Cloud Community
Aolha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

install SSO, Web Client, inventory after vCenter Server already installed.

I previously asked a similar question but it was maked as answered in error and there seems no way to undo it.

What do I need to do to install SSO, Web Client, inventory after vCenter Server 5.5 has already been installed?

The installation instruction say to install in this order, SSO, Web Client, Inventory Service, vCenter Server.

However the consultant who installed our vSphere, installed vCenter Server on a VM with Windows 2012.

I have since found out that I need the Web Client to fully manage type 8 VMs.

We have a simple Cluster with 2 Host using the free database, with SAN memory and HA.

Can I just go ahead and install SSO, Web Clinet and Inventory Service on the same VM as the vCenter Server?

Do I need Inventorty Service?

Additional clarification: The instructions say to do the SSO, Web Client, Inventory Service before installing vCenter Server. Can I just go ahead and install them on the same VM as the vCenter Server even though it is not in the installation order specified and the vCenter Server is installed before them? 

4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If vCenter Server is installed, then the other components should also be installed already (either on the same or a different server) because some of them are required for vCenter Server to work!?

Please double-check whether and which of the mentioned components are already installed.

André

Alistar
Expert
Expert

Hi there!

It kind of evades my why your consultant has chosen not to install the other components as well :smileyshocked: But yes, you will be totally fine by installing all the components on the  vCenter server VM. You could separate SSO server and Inventory Service on different servers VMware vSphere 5.1, but that is more suitable for larger environments - you would have to have additional Windows Server licenses for each of those separate services.

Also there is a nice blog post about inventory service http://nickmarshall.com.au/blog/2013/6/24/the-vcenter-inventory-service

Hope this answers your question Smiley Happy

Edit: According to what a.p. said it is more  than possible that they are installed already - check your services if vCenter Web Client is started.

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
Aolha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The SSO, Web Clinet and Inventory Service have not been installed.

But can I still install the SSO, Web Client, Inventory Service (in that order) on the same VM and still use the same vCenter Server.?

Will there be any problems if I do add those installs?

I'm confused as the installation instructions say to install in SSO (first), Web Client (second), Inventory Service (third), vCenter Server (last) in order. 

0 Kudos
Alistar
Expert
Expert

Take a snapshot of your vCenter and try it - you can always revert back Smiley Happy I think the vCenter Server will need to be configured for use of these elements on localhost, but I think these are set during the setup so I say go ahead.

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos