icy

icy

0 Kudos
6 Replies
yezhi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

You should mount a valid ubuntu installation image and install the operating system yourself

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If the CD drive is connected to the VM at power on, and the ISO is fine, the installation should start - so those are the 2 things to check first.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
kristphr
Contributor
Contributor

I did forget to mention that this host doesn't have an OS. Is this something that'll affect this? Will I need to download the iso and boot it @ the physical machine? 

0 Kudos
kristphr
Contributor
Contributor

Gotcha. Doing that currently, and once installed, should I recreate this VM, and find that OS via the VM Options for that specific instance? 

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mounting an ISO image like you did then booting the VM should allow you to then use the console to go through the configuration process to install to your hard drive that is assigned to the VM.  That is one way to deploy a VM. Another would be to import the VM as image files that was setup and exported previously. 

--Alan--

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You're using the wrong ISO image, that path is for the VMware Tools ISO, not the Linux OS itself.

What version of Linux are you wanting to install inside the VM?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog