rajeshcloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i7 Processor 3.4GHZ

Jump to solution

Hi, I have installed ESX 4.1 in my home lab environment. I am using i7 processor with 3.4 GHz and 16GB RAM.In that max how many Virtual machines i can run.

i7 processor is quard core

Number of cores = 4

Number of threads = 8

My question is

How to calculate max number of VM's ?

How Symetric mulitiprocessor (SMP) works?

Regards,Rajesh, if you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abirhasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Its not only depend on resource demands of the VM both memory and CPU but also depend on which OS you are usings? Like if you use windows 7 instate of windows xp then number of VM will not be smae according your existing resource.

abirhasan   

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The max number of VMs host is going to be able to support is going to depend on the resource demands of the VM both memory and CPU -

The vmkernel schedules the virtual cpus to a logical CPU when they need to execute instructions - the LCPU can be either a physical core or a hyperthread

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
rajeshcloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi thanks for reply, Think that each VM i am giving 1 CPU and 1 GB RAM. My problem is i can't understand LCPU, PCPU

Regards,Rajesh, if you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Yes always start with a single vCPU - you can always add more -

PCPU - Physical CPU typically referes to tthe physical core - so your i7 Proc will have 4 PCPUs

LCPU - Logical CPU refers to where the vmkernel can schedule a VCPU - so if you processor supports hyperthreading and with HT enabled you would have 8 LCPU is you leave it disabled you would only have 4 LCPUs -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
rajeshcloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So How many VM i can run max. if i take 1 CPU for 1 VM. How much i can run concurrently. Each PCPU how many vm i can run?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

As I said before it is going to depend on what you are going to run in those VMs - if they are very lightly loaded you could have as many 10-15 single vcpu vms per core up to 60 - and if hyperthreading is enabled 120 - theoretically you could even approach the VM maximum per host of 320 - 

For sizing estimated assume you can have 6 vcpus per LCPU - and if you still have capacity you can add more -

abirhasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Its not only depend on resource demands of the VM both memory and CPU but also depend on which OS you are usings? Like if you use windows 7 instate of windows xp then number of VM will not be smae according your existing resource.

abirhasan   
0 Kudos