VMware Cloud Community
ALPValence
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how can i assign one fix ip for each virtual machine

I have 2 network card and 3 vm on my vm server.

I didnot find in documentation how assign an ip fix for each vm.

pleas help me...probably easy but..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Assuming you have the management and the virtual machines on one network, attach both uplinks/NICs to vSwitch0, configure the Management Network and attach each VM to the "VM Network" port group. As already mentioned, the IP configuration of the VM's is done in the VM's themselves as if they were physical systems.

sample:

If you have different subnets for management and virtual machines, you either need to create multiple vSwitches or work with VLANs.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you running a version of ESX or something like Vmware Server?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Twitter: http://twitter.com/mittim12

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Virtual machines don't behave any differently than physical machines so you treat networking just like you would if the VM was physical. Use the networking settings and tools within the OS to set your fixed addresses, DNS settings, Gateway etc.

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

DSTAVERT is right. Just take the virtual vswitch as a layer 2 switch you have in a datacenter. The below paper would be useful for you.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/virtual_networking_concepts.pdf

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

ALPValence
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i use Esxi.

thx

0 Kudos
ALPValence
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

more precise ESXi and vmsphere 4

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's creating a vswitch follow by a portgroup assigned to the vmnic (physical nic port) attached to the network cable. from the virtual machine make sure they are pointed to the above created portgroup and then from the OS it's what being mentioned above.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Assuming you have the management and the virtual machines on one network, attach both uplinks/NICs to vSwitch0, configure the Management Network and attach each VM to the "VM Network" port group. As already mentioned, the IP configuration of the VM's is done in the VM's themselves as if they were physical systems.

sample:

If you have different subnets for management and virtual machines, you either need to create multiple vSwitches or work with VLANs.

André

0 Kudos