VMware Cloud Community
coax_k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

host update utility issues with the latest two patches

Via the Vshpere host update utility I have tried to update one of my ESXi hosts (4.0.0 181792) with the latest patches.

I scan the host for patches with the update utility and the hosts just permanently sits in "scanning" via the utilitty and never goes anywhere (I know there are patches available).

I have rebooted the host several times, tried in and out of maintenance mode etc , no dice.

I have also tried to force the upgrade by downloading the patch files in zip format from https://www.vmware.com/mysupport/s3portal.portal?_nfpb=true&_windowLabel=SearchPatch&SearchPatch_act... and then

Then via the upgrade utilty I upload th epackage file and it tries to extract it and after it tries to validate the file I get the error message that "Failed to read the upgrade package metadata , could not find file c:\documents ans settings\administrator\local settings\temp\fy4h1235k\metadata.xml"

If I look in that folder the metadata.xml file is not there so it seems to be not extracting properly or the source file is incorrect.

Any thoughts on how I can move forwrad are greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kooltechies
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Glad to know that the issue is resolved.

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : If you think that the answer is helpful please consider rewarding points.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
coax_k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

not sur eif its the host or the update utility that is causing the issue....

am going to install the updater on another machine and see if that makes and difference, I guess if it's the same thing then it must be the host that is causing this issue..

will update.

0 Kudos
pramodupadhyay5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

u can't manually update the hosts...have u created the baseline?????

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points
coax_k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hey, thanks for your response.

Not sure what you mean by created the baseline?

0 Kudos
coax_k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok further update.

installed the update utilty on another machine and tried scanning the host.

same deal

8+(

looks like it's host related.

Not sure where form here? upgrade manually via CLI?

0 Kudos
Saju_C
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I dont think there is any concept of baseline in vSphere Update utility.. This concept is related to VUM ( update manager)

Thanks

CS

0 Kudos
Saju_C
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I feel that this issue is related to your enviornment since I am able to scan the host and able to see patches after scanning. Attaching the screenshot.

since the host update utility is not helping to update the server, you are left with two options. Use wither Update manager or vSphere CLI. Update manager is a licensed product and vSphere CLI is free.

Download the vSphere CLI from http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/vsphere/automationtools/vsphere_cli and download the patches from Vmware site. Read the documentation of "vihostupdate" command and update the server.

Thanks

CS

0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I suspect a proxy server issue , can you see if you are using a correct proxy and also check if your proxy requires authentication or not.

Thanks,

Samir

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
coax_k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

we do have a transparent squid on the internal network but this has not been an issue in the past as I have done many updates with no issues through the client update utility

might be time to update via cli

8+(

0 Kudos
coax_k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how long should the output of this take to come through?

C:\Program

Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>vihostupdate.pl --server

192.168.18.110 --username root --password XXXXXX –query

a good five minutes now with no response 9appears to be still running though)

am I looking at a re-install?

0 Kudos
coax_k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok, killed that and decide to try forcing the upgrades via cli with --bundle and -install and it looks like nothing is happening also

been sitting there doing nothing for around an hour

curiously, now the vm's aren't showing in the "virtual machines" tab (main window) of the client although they are listed fine down the left and still start and run fine .

weird

any further advice is greatly appreciate before I turn to re-install.

it just seems there is noway i can patch this host

8+(

0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This may be a case of your ESX hang , can you reboot the server and try the connection again. Also from rcli can you check if other commands apart from esxupdate works with that server.

Thanks,

Samir

0 Kudos
coax_k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hey, thanks for your reply

have rebooted numerous times. ESXi functions ok, machines run fine etc. just can't perform any scan/update type functionality from the update client or cli

I did also try a –query from cli but it had the same result, just sat there...........

0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are you able to ping the server from the machine on which rcli is installed ?

Thanks,

Samir

0 Kudos
coax_k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes responds to pings fine and can log in with the vsphere client fine also

any further thoughts greatly appreciated

3am here in sydney, bed. back on the case tomorrow

thanks again to all

0 Kudos
coax_k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok, just did a re-install to USB (god I love how easy that is) and have fired up the images form the SAN.

All good so far, about to run the host update on the machine again now, fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
coax_k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, I'm now ecstatic

patches all applied fine, good to go.

thanks to all for your kind assistance.

0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Glad to know that the issue is resolved.

Thanks,

Samir

0 Kudos
tharpy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the exact same problems noted here by coax.....trying to use host update utility to patch (or update, neither worked) ...build 181792.

...so the answer is "reinstall ESXi"?

Can you tell company's now run by an ex-Microsoft dude? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos