VMware Cloud Community
mcannella
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hide local datastores in vCenter

I am trying to figure out how we hide the local datastores from showing up in Vsphere 5.5  From what I can find it looks like permissions.  How do you do it within permissions for just the local datastore

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bspagna89
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

In order to hide this datastore using permissions you have to perform the following :

Open vSphere -> Inventory -> Datastores -> select the VMFS datastore -> select Permissions -> Click the user or group in the list and set them to "No Access" - Do not propagate. We want this to take effect only on that datastore.

Let me know how it goes.

New blog - https://virtualizeme.org/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
bspagna89
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

In order to hide this datastore using permissions you have to perform the following :

Open vSphere -> Inventory -> Datastores -> select the VMFS datastore -> select Permissions -> Click the user or group in the list and set them to "No Access" - Do not propagate. We want this to take effect only on that datastore.

Let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos
Sateesh_vCloud
Jump to solution

You can group them in folder and make no access permission. (do not forget to keep one Admin atleast)

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos
mcannella
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Guys,

Either way worked!

0 Kudos
vfk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, Why do you want to hide it?  What is the purpose for this?  I don't really see any advantage of doing this, it is far better to name the datastore with something like local-esxiservername and have a process not to use the local datastore for production VM.

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos
mcannella
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We have no need for LOCAL datastore.  Our ESXi lives on SD cards and all we use is NFS mounts for the rest.  Very Simple. If I have 50 servers there is no need for me to see the local datastore, so now I only see the 5 Connected NFS mounts and that is all.  MUCH cleaner.

Thanks

0 Kudos
vfk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How big is your boot lun?  You might want to consider making it small for the esxi install...

VMware KB: Installing or upgrading to ESXi 5.1 best practices

Installing ESXi 5.1 requires a boot device that is a minimum of 1GB in size. When booting from a local disk or SAN/iSCSI LUN, a 5.2GB disk is required to allow for the creation of the VMFS volume and a 4GB scratch partition on the boot device. If a smaller disk or LUN is used, the installer attempts to allocate a scratch region on a separate local disk. If a local disk cannot be found, the scratch partition (/scratch) is located on the ESXi host ramdisk, linked to /tmp/scratch. You can reconfigure /scratch to use a separate disk or LUN. For best performance and memory optimization, VMware recommeds that you do not leave /scratch on the ESXi host ramdisk.
--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos
bspagna89
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Cool. Glad it worked out. Just remember it's hidden next time you need it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos