VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

going to vsphere 4.1

I got vsphere 4.1 installed on 2008 x64 and new fresh new db on sql 2008. I still got 4.0 running on sql 2005. How do I export the licenses from 4.0 to 4.1 vsphere? Can both licenses but running on both vcenters? To move the hosts, do I

create a new cluster in 4.1

disconnect hosts from 4.0

reconnect on 4.1

what about the dvswitches? create them in advance?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
peterdabr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

For vCenter license, simply add the same license key to the new vCenter instance. It will be up to you to make sure you don't have two instances of vCenter running in parallel and using the same license key.

Host license key(s) for ESX4(i) can also be moved to the new vCenter instance by typying in the same license key on new instance.

To move hosts to new vCenter instance:

-create new cluster in vCenter 4.1

-put host in maintenance mode ( or disable HA and DRS to skip maintenance mode step) on the cluster

- right-click on the host and 'Remove' from vCenter. That will also uninstall vpx (vcenter agent) from the host

-'Add new host' in 4.1 and choose appropriate license during the wizard

Peter D.

0 Kudos
chadwickking
Expert
Expert

Peter is always a bit ahead of me. He pretty much took care of you but if you want to do some reading up upgrade best practices it wouldn't hurt.

Upgrade Guide:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_upgrade_guide.pdf

Cheers,

Chad King

VCP-410 | Server+

Twitter:

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

Cheers, Chad King VCP4 Twitter: http://twitter.com/cwjking | virtualnoob.wordpress.com If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

My new vsphere 4.1(vm) is on the last host remaining managed by the vcenter 4.0(vm). Whenever I connect the host to the new vcenter and do a vm dv switch migration, I am losing connectivity to all the vms and the new vcenter. What is the way to move the new vcenter vm?

0 Kudos
chadwickking
Expert
Expert

How have you been doing the migrations of the VM? Have you been unjoining them from the old cluster and just joining them to the new cluster? Have you tried just unjoining the host and then vsphere to the host - connect to the VM - and then add that host to vcenter? Just curious.

Cheers,

Chad King

VCP-410 | Server+

Twitter:

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

Cheers, Chad King VCP4 Twitter: http://twitter.com/cwjking | virtualnoob.wordpress.com If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

that is what I have been doing, disconnecting from old vcenter, adding into new vc. For the last host on which the vcenter 4.1 vm was on, I had to borrow a nic back from the dvswitch and create a vswitch and port groups on the local host, then converted all the vms on the dvswitch back to local. Then I disconnected from old vc and back into new one. I dont know why the dvswitch and vm networking migration failed to migrate. Buts i got them all over to vc 4.1 now.

thanks

0 Kudos
chadwickking
Expert
Expert

Okay, Well I am glad it got resolved - Funny you say that if you look around you see that as the "common" workaround for upgrading - It had to do with the fact that vCenter is what manages the DVswitches.

Be sure to mark the thread answered or helpful if you problem was resolved, thanks!

Cheers,

Chad King

VCP-410 | Server+

Twitter: