VMware Cloud Community
leeroyrichardso
Contributor
Contributor

esxi 4.0 to 4.1

We have recently moved from esx4.0 to esxi4.0 on our infrastructure, 4 hosts.

I am now keen to move to version 4.1 esxi.

Our vcentre has been in operation since version 3.1 and we have continually upgraded upto our current version, as you can appreciate its a little messy with previous installations etc.

I was hoping that I could install a new virtual centre in preparation for the 4.1 upgrade, what are the benefits or drawbacks to doing a clean install rather than an upgrade and could I use my exisiting vcentre server? ie remove the virtual centre format the server build a new server re-install vcentre and new db??

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Lee Richardson
0 Kudos
5 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

the new vcenter 4.1 requires windows 2008 64BIT OS, chances it that you will need to install a new one. o

0 Kudos
NeilRHunter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah I had to do a new install due to the change in software requirements.  I was quite happy to do so though as I wanted a fresh install and this was a good excuse.

The only drawback is that you have to manage each host individually while you do the install and you lose the vc cool features of course.  However the install is quick enough and you can be back up and running in less than 2 hours.

0 Kudos
leeroyrichardso
Contributor
Contributor

You can do the database migration for vcentre I was wondering if there was any point in doing this or just starting from a fresh install?

Lee Richardson
0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

For small environment you can also plan to do a fresh installation.

If you reinstall vCenter you will loose all cluster configuration, statistics and some minor stuff (usually for a small environmento DVS are not used at all).

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
jb12345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I used the migration when we moved from 3.5 to 4.0 and it worked very well.  I wanted to keep the 3.5 vCenter running so that my VM administrators didn't have to know what host their VM was on.

0 Kudos