VMware Cloud Community
Query411
Contributor
Contributor

esx4.1 to esxi4.1 migration/upgrade

Currently on esx 4.1, but looking to migrate/upgrade to esxi 4.1.  Are tehre any references for how this can be done?

Haven't found anything through online searches, other than saying i need to rebuild.

I would think there is something available if info is available for esx 3.x..

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

You aren't finding anything because there isn't an 'upgrade path' per se - you need to reinstall the the host from scratch and reconfigure.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

totally agreed with mcowger. there is no upgrade path and you will need to do a fresh installation. you can either do it now, or do it later as there is still ESX 4.1 but no more major release thereafter.

0 Kudos
Query411
Contributor
Contributor

with such case, if i rebuilt my server from esx4.1 to esxi 4.1, mounting existing datastore should not have any problems, right?

0 Kudos
gekko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Correct, you can without problems mount your existing datastores after migrating the esx:es..

But, as i would do it, i would "unpresent" the datastores (if you are running FC storage) and then re-install to ESXi and then present them again, just for a little extra security .. 😃

-Kenth

0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert

During the migration time, take the local storage Back up, Because ESXi installation will clear all local storage partition and format with VMFS

if you have any existing VMs/VMFS partition on SAN or NFS environment, after the installation of ESXi, you can rescan for storage in configuration - > Storages. Browse the VMs and make in part of inventary.

Nithin

--Nithin
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

yes mounting existing storage is not a problem, you just need to unmount (perhaps removing the physical cable) then do the upgrade. if you're on local datastore then you will need to migrate it out to another shared datastore.

0 Kudos