VMware Cloud Community
mahan
Contributor
Contributor

driver problem in installing ESX4

hi

i have to install ESX 4 on the pc with gigabit mainboard, it support virtualization

but after i start to install it , after install custom driver it gives me error message that it couldnt find any NIC( it has realtek card)

after that i installed d-link gigabit ethernet DGE-530T

it is linux supported ,

what should i do, i think if i can add this driver to esx driver cd , it will be solved

please help me as soon as possible

thanks alot

-= If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" =- -= If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! =- -= Thanks =-
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert

Hi,

AFAIK, VMware ESX didn't support DGE-530T (or any D-Link/realtek NIC) by default, and because of this some people start converting (or better to say compiling) the linux driver (source) for VMware ESX/ESXi.

VMware ESX/ESXi need their own driver and you can't just use the Linux driver and hope it work.

For more information about Driver and process to make them you can visit here

There are some driver which made till now and you can download them, check this link

I hope it helps a little.

If I miss anything; please correct me, Thanks.

-= If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" =-

-= If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! =-

-= Thanks =-

If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! Sohrab Kasraeianfard | http://www.kasraeian.com | @Kasraeian
0 Kudos
mahan
Contributor
Contributor

thx , but i m going to install ESX,

can i use this solution for ESX????

-= If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" =- -= If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! =- -= Thanks =-
0 Kudos
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert

Hi,

For the first link, As they mention themselves in the summary of "Project", its for both ESX and ESXi.

>Community project to port Linux drivers to VMware's ESX and ESXi products to expand hardware support in ESX/ESXi.

And for second link, you can check this link

Every body reports their results on ESX or ESXi platform which they test, if in the table you see OK under ESX part, that driver/device worked under ESX.

Each OK, linked to the its equivalent thread.

Honestly, I didn't try them on ESX but I have use them on ESXi and they answered.

Is there any specific reason on running ESX on your whitebox?

-= If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" =-

-= If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! =-

-= Thanks =-

If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! Sohrab Kasraeianfard | http://www.kasraeian.com | @Kasraeian
mahan
Contributor
Contributor

i checked them , thnx alot ,

all says that i have to change oem file

but i had not find this file in ESX root dvd

i have realtek 8168 that they said its ok, i will check it as soon as possible

0 Kudos
Middleman33
Contributor
Contributor

I also have the Dlink DGE-530T Rev-A1 network card, two actually.

Downloaded the linux drivers from dlinks website, trying to figure out how to make my own custom driver package.

This is frustrating, because the install wont continue from dvd, as i have pata drive. The linux kernal loads the dvd, but the vmware kernel doesnt detect the disk after ive done the network config part and ntp server part.

So i was hoping to install via ftp with the askmedia boot optionl.

I dont want to install xenserver. aahh If anyone has a solution let me know.

esx 4.0 doesnt detect the onboard intel nic aswell. So its not looking good at this point.

0 Kudos