VMware Cloud Community
procommtech4221
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

do i create a datastore for every physical disk or add the extra disk space to the existing datastore?

I am a newbie in this subject so please take it easy on me.  I have vsphere esxi hyper-v 6.7 on a dell poweredge r620 server with 4 - 500gb sas drives.  I couldn't configure the raid properly so they're just individual hdd's.  I have  1 datastore from drive0, but the other drives nothing.  do i create a datastore for every physical disk or is it better to add the extra disk space to the existing datastore?

I'm using this for CCNA/CCNP lab topologies.  Any suggestions?  Thanks for your anticipated answers. 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can expand an existing datastore by adding another physical disk as an extent. But this is not recommended.

Looks  like you have a fake raid controller - thats probably why you see several disks instead of one raid array.

For now I would suggest you create additional datastores using the existing physical disks.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Did you find this helpful? Let us know by completing this survey (takes 1 minute!)"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can expand an existing datastore by adding another physical disk as an extent. But this is not recommended.

Looks  like you have a fake raid controller - thats probably why you see several disks instead of one raid array.

For now I would suggest you create additional datastores using the existing physical disks.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Did you find this helpful? Let us know by completing this survey (takes 1 minute!)"

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In case a RAID is no option, I'd recommend to configure the drives as individual datastores (unless you need more than 500GB on a single DS), so that the failure of a single HDD will not cause the whole datastore to become inaccessible.

André

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

There are only 4 controller options (S110, H310, H710, H710P)  for Dell R620 and only the first one is not supportet and the other 3 are HW Raidcontroller and well supportet under ESXi.

If you send me the service tag of your poweredge by PM i will take a look.

Regards,
Joerg

procommtech4221
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
procommtech4221
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much.  @

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Not heard of this before:

"vsphere esxi hyper-v 6.7"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos