Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

do i create a datastore for every physical disk or add the extra disk space to the existing datastore?

Jump to solution

I am a newbie in this subject so please take it easy on me.  I have vsphere esxi hyper-v 6.7 on a dell poweredge r620 server with 4 - 500gb sas drives.  I couldn't configure the raid properly so they're just individual hdd's.  I have  1 datastore from drive0, but the other drives nothing.  do i create a datastore for every physical disk or is it better to add the extra disk space to the existing datastore?

I'm using this for CCNA/CCNP lab topologies.  Any suggestions?  Thanks for your anticipated answers. 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Immortal
Immortal

You can expand an existing datastore by adding another physical disk as an extent. But this is not recommended.

Looks  like you have a fake raid controller - thats probably why you see several disks instead of one raid array.

For now I would suggest you create additional datastores using the existing physical disks.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Did you find this helpful? Let us know by completing this survey (takes 1 minute!)"

Do you need support with a recovery problem ? - call me via skype "sanbarrow"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Immortal
Immortal

You can expand an existing datastore by adding another physical disk as an extent. But this is not recommended.

Looks  like you have a fake raid controller - thats probably why you see several disks instead of one raid array.

For now I would suggest you create additional datastores using the existing physical disks.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Did you find this helpful? Let us know by completing this survey (takes 1 minute!)"

Do you need support with a recovery problem ? - call me via skype "sanbarrow"

View solution in original post

Highlighted
User Moderator
User Moderator

In case a RAID is no option, I'd recommend to configure the drives as individual datastores (unless you need more than 500GB on a single DS), so that the failure of a single HDD will not cause the whole datastore to become inaccessible.

André

Highlighted
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There are only 4 controller options (S110, H310, H710, H710P)  for Dell R620 and only the first one is not supportet and the other 3 are HW Raidcontroller and well supportet under ESXi.

If you send me the service tag of your poweredge by PM i will take a look.

Regards,
Joerg

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much.  @

0 Kudos