VMware Cloud Community
sasjrm
Contributor
Contributor

cannot vmotion after vcenter upgrade

using eval license so cannot remediate esx v3.5.4 hosts to v4 esx since vmotion is currently not licensed

note: vmotion was licensed (enterprise license) on all esx v3.5.4 hosts

our software dept is working on getting our licenses from the portal but vmware confirmed upgrade was doable using eval licenses?

any suggestions/workarounds?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

if you have vCenter shutdown the guest(s) in question and do a cold migration. This does not require vmotion.

0 Kudos
sasjrm
Contributor
Contributor

thx troy but we need to live migrate hundreds of vm's

do u know anything about the licensing issue & any reason that the eval is not working as advertised?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

your evaluation has expired, or vmotion just stopped working? What kind of message do you get when you try to vmotion a guest?

0 Kudos
sasjrm
Contributor
Contributor

The eval has not expired since I began the vsphere upgrade today- we have 60 days but now our vm's are all stuck on each host

Err msg is:

Vmotion is not licensed for source host

Vmotion is not licensed for destination host

It was quite a surprise since I thought we could upgrade on eval & then license up later

That is how The vmware video demo did it

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

It was quite a surprise since I thought we could upgrade on eval & then license up later

I am a little leery regarding this. Upgrade a evaluation of VI3 to an evaluation of vSpher4.

I don't know.......

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Hope I understood your issue. You only upgraded vCenter and the hosts are still on ESX3U4.

In vCenter go to "Licensing" and make sure there is an entry "License Server" which points to your vi3 license server.

If not, select "Administration" for the menu, then "vCenter Server Settings". At the bottom of the "Licensing" page enter your vi3 license server (e.g. 27000@mylicsrv.com)

0 Kudos
sasjrm
Contributor
Contributor

No, we're fully licensed on vi3 with an ela so we also have v4 enterprise licenses (but our software dept is having trouble getting them from the portal)

I was simply trying to use eval licenses to do the upgrade

0 Kudos
sasjrm
Contributor
Contributor

That was a good idea but I tried it & it didn't the vmotion prob

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If vCenter shows the correct license server, please take a look into the licence configuration of an affected ESX host.

Are the correct licenses displayed there?

Is the License mode = Server?

Are the licenses still there after you click Refresh?

I guess you already checked that. However, make sure the vi3 license server is in running state.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I found this KB, which may be helpful

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1011296

0 Kudos
sasjrm
Contributor
Contributor

Yes to this question - You upgraded your vCenter instance to vSphere4 vCenter and it's running your VI3 Hosts?

Now I'm trying to remediate but the hosts don't vmotion anymore due to the license err

What is odd is that our vmware se told me to do it this way at the vsphere kickoff mtg earlier this wk

0 Kudos