VMware Cloud Community
cuntaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

cannot add new harddisk over 2TB on upgraded vsphere 5

can someone give me the clue? I can't add new disk over 2TB to my vm on my upgraded vsphere 5.0. My datastore is 6TB and already read by vsphere....I create new vm and add new disk, but there still limitation just 2TB when i change to 4TB the error message appear. I newly add my LUN datastore with VMFS5 version. is there any mistake that i made? please help me....this problem is so frustrating me....i must create new disk 6TB for my new file server

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

You will need to use a Physical Compatibility Mode RDM to achieve this. As weinstein5 said, a VMDK cannot be larger than 2TB-512bytes. You would need to use the OS to span multiple 2TB-512bytes VMDKs, if that is what you really want.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcoem to the Community -  limitation in the size of the virtual has not changed with vSphere 5 - check out http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere5/r50/vsphere-50-configuration-maximums.pdf

You will have to create 3 2 TB virtual disks and let the operating system span the three disks -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
cuntaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks weinstein for your reply...but i know the maximums sheet....but i had try in the different vsphere 5 not in this environment that i ask...i can add new disk 4TB in existing vm....how can you help me explain this issue? thanks before

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

You will need to use a Physical Compatibility Mode RDM to achieve this. As weinstein5 said, a VMDK cannot be larger than 2TB-512bytes. You would need to use the OS to span multiple 2TB-512bytes VMDKs, if that is what you really want.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
cuntaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

satya... i don't think that resolve my problem because i cannot add new disk over 2TB in my newly create VM...my LUN already detected and read well by ESXi....

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The maximum size of a virtual disk in vSphere 5 is still 2 TB -512 B so you cannot create a single virtual disk of 4 TB - you would have to do as another poster suggested - use an RDM where you will access the 4 TB as a Raw LUN -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful