VMware Cloud Community
wlandymore
Contributor
Contributor

can't find DSN to install vCenter...

I'm trying to install the vCenter Server but when I come to the System DSN part it can't find any. I am using a 64-bit OS (windows 2003 Datacenter), but I have gone to Windows\SysWoW64\Odbcad32.exe to create the 32-bit DSN. However, when I go through the installer it still can't find any. When I create the DSN it tests successfully and everything is fine there...why can't the installer see any DSN's for me to use?

I'm using the SQL server option when making the DSN...do I need to pick something else?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

wlandymore
Contributor
Contributor

I think I found the problem with that part. I used the Native SQL server driver and it goes past that....now it's just complaining that the SQL server agent isn't running. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
wlandymore
Contributor
Contributor

yeah, that's the one I found with the location of the 32-bit system DSN utility. I fixed it by using the "Native SQL server" driver instead of the plain old "SQL server" one. Now it's just complaining about the "SQL Server agent service" not running....

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I think it's just a warning to "make sure the SQL agent service is running" If you can test connectivity with ODBC, then that means your DB is online.

0 Kudos
wlandymore
Contributor
Contributor

yeah, I was just 'mentioning' that one. Smiley Happy

You just have to go into the configuration manager to start the service. That's the type of error I don't mind getting....

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

so you got the upgrade of vCenter complete?

0 Kudos
wlandymore
Contributor
Contributor

It was a clean install, but yeah, it's done.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

very nice, enjoy!

don't forget to close out the thread by marking it as answered. A "correct" answer will close it out as well Smiley Happy

0 Kudos