VMware Cloud Community
TheMaccabee
Contributor
Contributor

bare metal install - eSXI 6 ISO on Lenovo w540 laptop

Hi all,

I'm trying to install eSXI 6 on a Lenovo w540 laptop to add it to my existing vSphere home lab environment, but I'm running into issues during the install - getting error messages:

Memory map contains overlapping ranges

Multiboot MemMap contains overlapping ranges

I haven't had any trouble installing eSXI on any other systems using the default 6.0 ISO.

I'm thinking I might need to customize the ISO to get it to work on this new laptop, but I'd like to check if anyone might have any easier solutions or experience getting past these errors before I go down that path.

Any help?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
benace
Contributor
Contributor

I have also been looking for this solution, so far with no luck. I found some information related to the stop point (imgpayld.tgz)

ESXi 5.5 U1 on IBM x3650 M4 Server

As an aside, I have a nearly identical Lenovo P50 with 64gb of RAM and the installer boots fine. I haven't been able to do a full install to see if it completes the installation fine, but it does not hang which I guess is good news.

Also, I tried the ESX install on the W540 using a couple different BIOS versions from as far back as 2.11 (May 2014) and as recent as 2.28 (Sep 2016) - same issue.

0 Kudos
WrlsFanatic
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever come up with a fix for this? I'm running into the same issue. I have a T450 running ESXi with no problem, but I can't get it to work on the W540. I thought about installing a different BIOS, but that didn't work for you so I'm not hopeful. I've tried turning on and off features, but that isn't having any effect either.

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

HI,

Please refer this , it may help you

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/W530-Bare-Metal-with-ESXi-5-1-Possible/t...

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
WrlsFanatic
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your response, but unfortunately that's not my issue. I already have an ISO with the XHCI drivers loaded. I have to figure out this issue related to this error message:

Memory map contains overlapping ranges

Multiboot MemMap contains overlapping ranges

0 Kudos