VMware Cloud Community
billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

available updates...

Hi,

I have to update our vcenter due to the two recent security vulnerabilities.  I was under the impression that as I am on 6.7 - 6.7.0.20100 vcenter server with external platform services controller - I could do this through the VAMI...  but when I login to the VAMI and check updates, I am only seeing 6.7.0.300000 and 6.7.0.21000 both from the year 2019... so whatever rollup they might be, that's not going to have the recent security updates right?  Or do I perhaps need to do these updates before I can get newer updates?

thanks

Bill

Bill Dossett
0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Although vCenter upgrades are usually cumulative, you may need to upgrade in two steps with the currently installed build.

From https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/rn/vsphere-vcenter-server-67u3-release-notes.html

~snip~
Upgrade Notes for This Release

Upgrade from vCenter Server 6.7 Update 1a to 6.7 Update 3 is not supported. You must first upgrade to vCenter Server 6.7 Update 1b or 6.7 Update 2, and then patch your system to 6.7 Update 3.
~snip~

André

0 Kudos
billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

hmm, do you think that wording is weird?  You must first upgrade your system to xxxx and then patch your system to xxx... why is one called an upgrade and then the next one a patch?   thanks for the pointer anyway, I am assuming that this is all done thru the VAMI even with the somewhat obtuse wording.

Bill Dossett
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Now that ypu mention it, yes, I think this is just an unlucky wording.
Both are updates/patches, that's why you can see U1b as well as U2 in the VAMI.
Btw. depending on the v6.7 patch level, you may even see a version 7.0 patch in the VAMI, which is a bug if you ask me.

André

0 Kudos