VMware Cloud Community
azlans27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

(ask) Best Method to Migrate VMs from vCenter 5.5 to Standalone ESXi 6.7

I want to look for the best option method we can use to migrate VMs from vCenter 5.5 environment to totally new host with ESXi 6.7 update.

My customer want to migrates their VMs from old environment, which consist of vCenter 5.5, with some hosts also 5.5 version. This environment connect to SAN storage with FC protocol, FC Switch in the middle.

The new environment should be Standalone ESXi host, with latest version; 6.7 update 2. This host still uses internal datastore (internal HDD), no connection to current SAN Storage.

My question is what is the best option available to migrate VMs for such this environment? Downtime is possible, but we want to minimize it as much as possible.

What is my thought now is to convert VMs using VMware vCenter Converter Standalone to new ESXi.

What do you think, folks? Please share your ideas.

Best Regards,

Azlan Syah

12 Replies
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

Why do you want to move to a standalone host?  You are not going to keep vcenter?

At the moment do you have a cluster?

0 Kudos
azlans27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, we know very well that this is not an ideal condition.

But, this is the resource we have this year for new environment.

Next year, maybe will be added by additional ESXi host, FC Switch, SAN Storage, and vCenter.

At the moment we have cluster, including stuff I mentioned above. But the version is still 5.5, and the customer does not plan to upgrade the version on this resource. The plan is only to migrate some VMs (around 5 VMs) to that standalone ESXi and they know the risks exactly.

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

Hi, The best method to migrate your environment is performing VMware converter.

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
saravananyuvara
Contributor
Contributor

Perform with vSphere replication appliance

Install replication appliance on source and distination

sync the vms between source and destination

power off the souce

do final sync

power on the destination

0 Kudos
azlans27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think vSphere replication appliance need to be registered to VMware vCenter Server, please correct me if it is wrong.

Or, is it possible to do vSphere replication from vCenter to standalone ESXi host?

But, this can be another option also, by setup temporary vCenter Server + VRM to do migration. Btw, is it possible to do it between vCenter 5.5 to VCSA 6.7?

Please give me some inputs. :smileylaugh:

0 Kudos
ashishsingh1508
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware converter would be a solution

OR

present a LUN on both the environment and un-register from one environment and register on the destination.

Ashish Singh VCP-6.5, VCP-NV 6, VCIX-6,VCIX-6.5, vCAP-DCV, vCAP-DCD
0 Kudos
nparas5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello There,

You can look for OVF Template option. Verify that the virtual machine is powered off.

Steps:

1. Select the virtual machine and select File > Export to OVF.
  2. Enter a name for the OVF file and specify a directory in which to save it.
  3. Specify whether to export the virtual machine as an OVF, a folder with separate files, or as an OVA, a single-file archive.
  4. Click Export to start the OVF export process.

Similarly you can select Import option and deploy the OVA file.

NOTE: I think you must need vCenter to do this OVF Deploy operation. From Standalone ESXi you can't import /deploy the OVA/OVF Files.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Because of your special situation (don't have a vCenter in your destination site) i think regardless of VMware Converter, the best and safe solution is using

backup solution. If you provide a full backup of your VMs with a backup product like VEEAM Backup, then you can restore them to another Hosts in another site with different version of ESXi hosts.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
saravananyuvara
Contributor
Contributor

azlans27

Yes, We need to register the  vsphere replication with the center. i have attached the interoperability matrix with this. you need to install the 6.5.1 version of vsphere replication appliance.

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/sim/interop_matrix.php#interop&509=&1=

only thing there should be the communication between the source and the destination.

no need to worry about the license because its free comes with vsphere license.

0 Kudos
5mall5nail5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Since downtime is permitted and it's only 5 VMs (I am assuming these VMs are not huge) - I'd just shut a VM off and SCP it from one host to another.  Sure you can get creative with VCSA trials, vSphere Rep, Veeam, etc. but it sounds like a super small environment and the customer knows the implications of the ask.

SCP it and move on.

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

You can use Veeam Quick Migration.

Quick Migration is a Veeam Backup Free Edition feature, the completely free edition of Veeam Backup & Replication.

Free Backup Solution - Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition https://www.veeam.com/it/virtual-machine-backup-solution-free.html

1. Install Veeam Backup Free Edition on a virtual or physical machine with a Windows operating system.
  2. Before using the Quick Migration feature, add your source and destination ESXi hosts to the Veeam Backup console inventory.

Quick Migration allows you to migrate an active VM between any host and / or datastore. Select the desired VM, right-click and choose Quick Migration:

Alessandro Romeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
azlans27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi All,

thank you for sharing your ideas. Now I have some options available.

Once project finished, I will be back to update which method I use to do migration for such environment.

0 Kudos