VMware Cloud Community
Gerasan
Contributor
Contributor

again localhost.localdomain Question...

Hi there,

I don't know, how to setup right settings for following situation.

ESXi 4.0 is installed on a server. That server is physically hosted at a service provider (server housing). From this service provider I got IP for the server, IP for a Gateway and IP for DNS. I entered that data In ESXi System customization an testing of management network was successful, except resolving of the hostname.

Resolving of the default entry localhost.localdomain is successful. But once I change this to e.g. hugo.boss it fails. I guess the reason is that the network do not know the name boss. But what would be the correct entry for the domain? The network name of my housing network? As mentioned, I got from service provider IPs only.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gerasan.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Are you sure that ESX hostname is configured?

You can find under Configuration / DNS & Routing.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Gerasan,

you cannot just change a DNS name, there's more to this.

First you need to have a DNS domain on your DNS server (e.g. "boss").

Then you need to create a Host (A) entry for the ESX server (e.g. "hugo") in this domain.

If you need to access this domain over the internet, the domain must be registered to you or your service provider to resolve correctly.

André

0 Kudos
Gerasan
Contributor
Contributor

yes, I think so. Here:

I just did "Test Management Network" again and it is saying OK!

Yesterday it sayed "Failed" on resolving hostname. The only difference between yesterday and today:

Yesterday I maintened hugo.boss in ESXi console and today, following you suggestion I maintained it Configuration / DNS & Routing.

But yesterday I remember, I saw the effect of change also in the vClient overview of the virtual machine.

Now I rstartet the "Management Network" and "Management Agents" and the "Test Management Network" is still successful. No Idea, why it is now ok.

0 Kudos
Gerasan
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Andre,

as you can see I am one step further. hugo.boss entered like above doesn't fail anymore. Still don't know why. But this is not all done. I fully aggree with you - there ís more to this.

As I mentioned in my first post, the server is hosted by a housing service provider and connected, I guess, to their network. I can't create Domain on DNS-Server because I don't have access to the DNS-Server. I have an IP-Adress of DNS-Server only.

Several weeks ago I tested ESXi in my LAN at home. As Domain-Name I used the Name of my Router fritz.box (Hostname of the Router). Resolution of hugo.fritz.box was successful and I could connect hugo.fritz.box from the LAN.

If I remember right, I did change also in the Router Network table. Initially there was an IP-Entry of ESXi-Host with some generic hostname. Then I changed that generic hostname to hugo and it was done.

Therefore I thing the same must be done in the current server configuration. The difference now is, that I don't know the name of the "router" (the gateway-server or dns-server) I have IPs only. I already tryed to find out that names by tracert or nsloopup without success.

Am I on the right way or completelly wrong?

0 Kudos
Gerasan
Contributor
Contributor

After discussing with my service provider I know: my server is connected to the LAN of that service provider. And he can not (maybe don't want) to set the mapping of the IP of my host to boss.

I'm wondering if it would be possible, if I register an internet domain boss.com (ok, another one Smiley Happy ) and call my host as hugo.boss.com?

0 Kudos