VMware Cloud Community
xorraadeu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can add 6.x esxi licenses on a Vcenter for windows 5.5

You can add 6.x esxi licenses on a vcenter for windows 5.5.

I think not since vcenter for windows 5.5 only supports esxi5.5u3

9 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

The vCenter must always be the same or higher than the Esxi version. Never inferior.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
xorraadeu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It would give me a mistake, if I add a license 6.x.

If I migrate Vcenter for windows 5.5 to vcsa6.5U2 they can have licenses of esxi5.5 and esxi 6.5 I understand

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

It would give me a mistake, if I add a license 6.x.:  YES

If I migrate Vcenter for windows 5.5 to vcsa6.5U2 they can have licenses of esxi5.5 and esxi 6.5 : Yes, right

for migration you can follow this guide (also good for 6.5 u2):

Step-by-step: Migrate Windows vCenter server to vCSA 6.5u1 -

ARomeo

0 Kudos
xorraadeu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.

I have a doubt

In the Vcenter server for windows 5.5u3 I have 3 nic (management, backup and replication) when migrating to VCSA6.5U2 you can only migrate one management nic and according to a Vmware document the VCSA 6.5U2 only supports one nic and you can add another nic unless you put another VCSA6.5.

I have seen several documents that can be configured several nic backup and replicates on the VCSA and works them. But I do not know if you open a case to vmware for some problem and see that I have configured the VCSA with 3 nic can not give me support.
How can I get the VCSA to have only one nic and configure the backup and replication to work for me. With routing?. You have some documentation for this?

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

VMware Knowledge Base :

pastedImage_1.png

Q:

But I do not know if you open a case to vmware for some problem and see that I have configured the VCSA with 3 nic can not give me support.

answer:

The support of Vmware depends on the validity of the license and if you paid for support, not on the configuration mode. If something is not configured correctly, they will advise you on how to proceed, but if you have paid, they will provide you with support.

VMware Knowledge Base

ARomeo

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the vSphere Upgrade & Install area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
xorraadeu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In summary I can configure the VCSA as indicated by this link:

Virtualization Topics: Add another NIC to VCSA6

So I can configure the 3 nic as I had it configured in the vcenter for windows 5.5 and it will work for me properly.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You've already asked this before, and it's been answered. No, it's not supported because it may not work. If you call GSS for help, they will throw the case out. Why continue to ask the same question? The answer is simple: don't do it if you expect to phone someone for help.

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Your original question is answered, and your follow-up question is a duplicate from one of your previous threads (hence why I am locking this thread)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos