VMware Cloud Community
HMorris
Contributor
Contributor

Wire/Reinstall VSphere and datastores

I am getting ready to wipe/reload  a VSphere 4.1 esxi  host to a VSphere 5.5 host.   It is connected to an iscsi SAN that is shared with other hosts of course.  I have already removed all the VM’s from this host.  We are not using HA. 

I will also remove it from VCenter first.    VCenter itself is running on another host that is already vSphere 5.5.

Then I am going to completely wipe and re-install this esxi  host from scratch. 

My question is do I even need to remove any  LUN/Storage configuration info on this Sphere 4.1 server ?

I am wiping it so I thought maybe I don’t have to worry about it.  But then again I am going to use this same hardware so does  an HP San retain any of this info?  Does it matter ?

Thank you,

HMorris

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Assuming the iSCSI storage systems uses the ESXi host's iSCSI IQNs rather than IP addresses to recognize them, and you are using Software iSCSI on the ESXi hosts, then w- with re-installing the ESXi hosts - you'll end up with a new IQN for the host which you need to introduce the host to the storage system. On the storage system you certainly want to delete the old host object.

André

0 Kudos
bspagna89
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As long as the server is clear of any VMs or anything that could be stored locally.. To be honest, I would right click the iSCSI LUNs and disconnect them (graceful disconnect, then reboot to wipe). You technically don't even need to do that.

Again, verify nothing is left on this host (locally) and then you can go ahead and wipe/resintall.

New blog - https://virtualizeme.org/
0 Kudos