VMware Cloud Community
dmanrez
Contributor
Contributor

Which edition of Vmware do I download?

Hi

I'm looking at upgrading from esx 3.5 to vsphere 4. The question I have is what edition do I download for the upgrade. When I look at my product license keys it says vCenter Server 4 Standard and for my vSphere 4 Enterprise. Do I download standard edition for vcenter and enterpise edition for my ESX?

Thanks

Derek

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

The downloads are all the same - you can verify this by comparing the checksums for the downloads. It is your license keys that will ultimately determine your feature set.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

That is correct - vCenter Standard and the Enterprise for ESX -but it really shouldn't matter since the software is the same it is the license key is wjhat sets thelicense level you are at

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
dmanrez
Contributor
Contributor

That makes sense but when I go to the following download site http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_vsphere_4/4

why is it giving me so many different edition to choose from?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I think the issue when there was just one link people were getting confused because they were looking for license specific downloads not realizing it was all the same software and that it wasthe license that set the software funcrionality - I am sure this caused extra call s to support -

0 Kudos