VMware Cloud Community
AbraxisNetworks
Contributor
Contributor

What license to purchase to upgrade ESXi 5.5 to Essentials for 8-core host (2 physical CPUs)

I have an 8-core (2 physical CPUs) host that is running the free ESXi hypervisor.  I need to upgrade this to at least Essentials to enable my backup software to work.  I can't figure out from their website what I need to purchase though.  It appears the "Essentials Kit" allows for a total of 6 CPUs (3 physical servers, 2 CPUs each).  Is that physical CPUs, or Cores? 

Also, do I need to to upgrade ESXi to 6.5 before applying the license?  Or can that be done later?

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello,

vSphere licensing operate on a per-socket basis, so the 6 CPUs specified are physical CPUs (sockets).

You do not need to update to 6.5 right away, you can do this at a later time and for no additional cost provided it is done with the timeframe of the support term:

"The support term includes updates and new releases of the selected product during the time frame "

VMware Europe Official Online Store - Products

Bob

-o- If you found this comment useful please click the 'Helpful' button and/or select as 'Answer' if you consider it so, please ask follow-up questions if you have any -o-

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just to add to what TheBobkin​ said.

If you are going to purchase the Essentials Kit, but still want to run vSphere 5, you can downgrade the licenses in your MyVMware portal for now, and upgrade them again once you need to.

André

0 Kudos