VMware Cloud Community
dtsmith62
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What exact version of 6.5 and 6.7 does the upgrade/migration tool get you to?

We have to plan four vCenter upgrades for September.

Two of them will be 6.0U2 (Build 3634793) Windows based (external PSC), to 6.5U2h VCSA (external PSC).  Followed almost immediately by VCSA 6.5U2h Upgrade to VCSA 6.7U2 with embedded PSC.  There are 2 SRM upgrades required also, one during each upgrade.  Thoughts on going directly to 6.7 U2 in one activity are welcome.  The downside on that is we end up at external PSC.

The other two vCenter upgrades are straight from VCSA 6.5U2 (Build 9451637, external PSC) to VCSA 6.7 U2 embedded PSC.

What I am wondering is;

Using 6.0 to 6.5 Upgrade/Migration tool, what version of 6.5 do you get to?

Using 6.5 to 6.7 Upgrade/Migration tool, what version of 6.7 do you get to?

I think it matters because if the tool gets you to 6.7 GA for example, then wouldn't a 6.5 U2 to 6.7 (GA) upgrade be considered "back-in-time" and not supported?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Biemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

That depends on which iso file you use, for example is you use VMware-VCSA-all-6.5.0-9451637.iso then you goto VCSA 6.5 U2C.

Here you find a good overview of the release and build numbers.

https://www.virten.net/vmware/vcenter-release-and-build-number-history/

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Did you find this helpful? Let us know by completing this survey (takes 1 minute!)"

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Biemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

That depends on which iso file you use, for example is you use VMware-VCSA-all-6.5.0-9451637.iso then you goto VCSA 6.5 U2C.

Here you find a good overview of the release and build numbers.

https://www.virten.net/vmware/vcenter-release-and-build-number-history/

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Did you find this helpful? Let us know by completing this survey (takes 1 minute!)"

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
dtsmith62
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!  Thought I'd looked everywhere

0 Kudos
dtsmith62
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's the chronology and build number mapping....

So the take away for me is, the upgrade tool is bundled with the upgrade ISO, so of course the version you get upgrade/migrated to is the version from the ISO bundle.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos