VMware Cloud Community
themanintheiron
Contributor
Contributor

WARNING: You cannot install the VMware Tools package until the guest operating system is running.

I'm trying to Install / Upgrade Vmtools on VM which is powered on but I get error message every time I try.

Installing the VM Tools package will greatly enhacne graphics and mouse performance in your virtual machine.

WARNING: You cannot install the VMware Tools package until the guest operating system is running.  If your guest operating system is not running, choose Cancel and install the VMware Tools package later.

anyone came across with the same issue. Please let me know .. .. . thanks.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Which operating system is running in this VM?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

This isn't an error - its a warning letting you know that you cant install these until your Guest OS is installed.  If your guest OS is already installed, just keep on going and install the tools.

ESXi has no way to know if you've installed your OS or not, so it gives this warning regardless.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
themanintheiron
Contributor
Contributor

Few vms are Win 2008 Enterprise x64 and others are Red Hat Linux  (VM version is 4, after update tools I need to upgrade vm version to 7).  OS is installed successfully. I try to update vmtools many times with this vms but i see this message.

Reboot vms and try to update vm tools this message is back again.

0 Kudos
themanintheiron
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mcoweger,

This vms are on hosts which has ESXi 4.1.  What i am trying to do is I have to update vm version to 7, currently this vm / hw version is 4.  Once the VM's are updated with VM Tools then I can change the VM / Hw version.  OS is server 2008 enterpris x64 and other vms are Linux which are install successfully installed and running.

I do come across very strange issues.  Earlier issue with changing SSL to esx hosts.

seems like even VM they've to R & D on this type of issues.

Plese check my other posts saying "Hosts disconnected after changing / renewing SSL".  If you've any solution for any of my 2 issues let me know it will be very helpful.

0 Kudos
MK22
Contributor
Contributor

vmtools.JPGDo you have the proper operating system selected in the properites of the machines you are having trouble with? Just select the machine then right click "Guest" > "Install/Upgrade..." then choose manual if the dialog pops up, then the VM will have the tools ISO mounted on it's CDROM, go run it within the VM. After VMware Tools is at the proper version you can upgrade the virtual machine hardware.

VCP
0 Kudos
kandeamar
Contributor
Contributor

I also had the same issue on Microsoft Windows 2012 server, when I check VMware Tools Service was not avaible in the services

So I started the VMware tools exe from "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\vmtoolsd.exe", afte that I was sucessfully updated the Vmware tools.

I can say it will applicable for Windows 2003/2008.

0 Kudos