VMware Cloud Community
uramanat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vsphere upgrade from 5.5 to 6.5

Hello friends,

I have a question.

Our current ESXI version is 5.5 U2 and planning to upgrade to 6.5 U1.

Total no of host is 32 no's with single license key (I don't want to split the license keys);

Each host is dual cpu hosts.so total 64 capacity licenses with single key.

Now which is the best method:

1. To upgrade license keys to version 6.0 in myvmware portal and then upgrade the esxi hosts? or

2. Upgrade esxi hosts to 6.5 and then upgrade license keys in my VMware portal?

Please note all 32 hosts upgrade will be done in phase wise and will take 1 to 2 weeks time for the completion of upgrade.

So if I'm following the point :2, then will my hosts be in evaluation mode for 60 days or until I assign a new license? or will go disconnected? or any issues would happen? Issues to VMS in it?

Appreciate your help on it

Rgs,

uday

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kishorenelvagal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello Uday ,

I would suggest you to operate the ESXi hosts in evaluation mode for 60 days as evaluation mode would have enterprise plus licence .

You could then contact the VMware licencing team to request for the new licence.

Sincerely
Kishore N
VMware Support Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There's not really a best method when it comes to licensing. What you may want to check first is that you are eligible for a license upgrade (requires your SnS be current), and this way you'll know if there are account issues that need to be resolved prior to you beginning the upgrade. After hosts are upgraded, they will operate in evaluation mode for 60 days until licensed.

kishorenelvagal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello Uday ,

I would suggest you to operate the ESXi hosts in evaluation mode for 60 days as evaluation mode would have enterprise plus licence .

You could then contact the VMware licencing team to request for the new licence.

Sincerely
Kishore N
VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
uramanat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, we are eligible for a license upgrade...and thanks for your reply we will proceed the same way.

0 Kudos