VMware Cloud Community
Morat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vsphere and ESXi - single server

Dear all,

I've got a single server running ESXi and Vsphere on my laptop to administer it. The vsphere evaluation has now expired so I cannot make changes to my server. How do I license my vsphere for the free single server configuration?

If I am barking up the wrong tree, please let me know as well.

Thanks

Miles

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mrksiddiqui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Select Host and Cluster -> Select the ESXi host

Right Hand PANE -> Configuration -> Left Side "License Feature" -> Edit

Thanks

K

If this helps answer your question please consider awarding points!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mrksiddiqui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can use Vsphere client to manage ESXi directly. So instead of logging on to Vsphere Vcenter connect to ESXi with root and password that you may have set. I would also remove the esxi from the vCenter first.

Morat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please excuse my ignorance on this subject!

I'm running vSphere Client (at least, that is what it says in the title of the window). The server is running ESXi 4 but says "evaluation expired"

Did I download the wrong package? I have attached a screenshot incase I'm missing something Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Miles

0 Kudos
mrksiddiqui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you downloaded the ESXi it should have given you a key as well. You can install that key in ESXi by going to configuration -> License Feature. If you do not have the key you go back to http://www.vmware.com/download and get the key from there.

Thanks

K

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Morat,

the client connectrs to the Physical ESX host and simply manages it.

Once the eval license expires, you lose the ability to perform most functions - this includes starting VMs.

If you have purchased a new licesnse for your ESX server, go to administration - Settings (server setting .. can't remember) -> licesning . . and add your license code using the GUI. Until you do this you will not be able to use the ESX host anymore.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
Morat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, I must be breaking some kind of record for ineptness here Smiley Sad

I've got hold of a license key, I can see the current license key on the server (EVALUATION) but I can't find a way of adding the license key either to the server itself or to the vSphere Client.

The only entry I have under Administration is "Role" and even that is greyed out.

Please help, we're nearly there!

Miles

0 Kudos
mrksiddiqui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Select Host and Cluster -> Select the ESXi host

Right Hand PANE -> Configuration -> Left Side "License Feature" -> Edit

Thanks

K

0 Kudos
Morat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You sir, are a hero.

Thank you very much indeed Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mojo2509
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry to be a pain - but where was this setting - I'm stuck in the same situation using vsphere client and license has expired and can't find the option to add new license?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the VMware Communities forums. In the vSphere client you'll go to Configuration \ Licensed Features and then click on Edit to get the screen to enter your serial number.

PS - if you post to discussions that are marked as Answered fewer people will look at your post. It's best to start a new discussion.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
mojo2509
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Dave - greatly appreciated

0 Kudos