VMware Cloud Community
Massiri
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere HA Failover Failed with few issues

Cluster configured between two Hosts with below Specs:

1. HP DL 380 G8 (2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 0 @ 2.00GHz, 32 Logical processor, 52 GB RAM)

2. Dell PowerEdge R730 (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 v4 @ 1.70GHz, 8 Logical processor, 64 GB RAM)

Configured Redundant Networks, Data store Heartbeat , HA Only

Machines don't start on other host if one host goes down.

Searched about admission control, tried all the available options including Disabling.

Kindly see the attachments and reply me about possible causes.

Run-time info Attached

All issues attached

both host up and runningHA.JPG

BothHost_UP_runtime.JPG

One host down:

1Host_Down_Runtime.JPG

0 Kudos
2 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you please let me know what is the version of ESXi host used in your environment as we see the error with ESXi 6.5. For different versions, could you check below options:  

1)Change the admission control policy to reserve fewer resources for failover or add more hosts to the cluster.

2)Check the CPU and Memory reservations of the virtual machine in question. As a virtual machine starts up, slot calculation will be affected and fewer slots will be available when a machine with high reservation values is started.

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I am assuming that you made sure that:

1. The datastore where the VMs are sitting on is available on both hosts?
  2. The Network Portgroup that the VM are part of is available on both hosts?
  3. None of the hosts is in Maintenance Mode

It is very difficult to say why this is without seeing/knowing more about the environment. Considering the "small slot size" I doubt it has got anything to do with Admission Control. From the commandline on ESXi can you copy and past the following:;

go to directory: /opt/vmware/fdm/fdm/

then do:

./prettyPrint.sh hostlist

./prettyPrint.sh vmmetadata

Thanks,

0 Kudos