VMware Cloud Community
sebrodarias
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere 7.0

HI

I have a lot of VMs running in ESXi 6.0.
I access to those VMs through vSphere client 6.0
I need to upgrade those machines to ESXi 7.0
Is there any tool to fix this automatically or can you give some advice on how to do this?
Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thread reported so a moderator can move it to the correct area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
hotsauceonerryt
Contributor
Contributor

Some things to consider before upgrading

Make sure your hardware is listed in the VMware Compatibility Matrix as supported with the version you are trying to go: VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search
Forget using the vSphere Client if it does not work and use the vSphere Web Client which is the only one available in the version you are trying to update.
Always upgrade first vCenter before ESXi and do not upgrade ESXi with a higher version than vCenter or weird issues could appear.
Always, not only for this upgrade but for all of them, check the VMware Interoperatibility Matrix for the supported Upgrade Path and supported compatibility between VMware products: VMware Product Interoperability Matrices
If you have external tools such as for backup, monitoring, etc that uses the vSphere APIs, make sure that also those are compatible.

0 Kudos
bryanvaneeden
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi @sebrodarias ,

In addition to what others have said, you can check the following link for the upgrade path:

https://interopmatrix.vmware.com/Upgrade?productId=1

As you maybe can see it is not possible to upgrade to 7.0 from 6.0 directly. You will have to upgrade to 6.7 U3 or 6.5 U3. You can do this more or less automatically with vSphere Update Manager if you have it in your vCenter.

I hope this helps.

Visit my blog at https://vcloudvision.com!
0 Kudos