VMware Cloud Community
nourhene
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vshpere Installation ?

Hey guys ,

I was wondering if installing vshpere must be on a formated pc , or can I just install it on my pc with my existing operating system ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not really, ESXi is an operating system which - if you run the installation on the physical system - will partition and format the installation disk as needed,  deleting all previously existing partitions!

Installing ESXi as a virtual machine is an option, if you want keep the existing operating system and only want to try/evaluate ESXi.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

ESXi is a bare metal Hypervisor which installs directly on the hardware. It's designed for server hardware, so you may run into issues when trying to install it on PC hardware (e.g. incompatible NICs, ...). If you just want to evaluate/try ESXi you can easily install it as a virtual machine in e.g. VMware Workstation, provided the host meets the Installation Requirements

André

nourhene
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So what you're saying (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that we could install it without formating but in order to avoid problems it's preferable to install it on a formated pc ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not really, ESXi is an operating system which - if you run the installation on the physical system - will partition and format the installation disk as needed,  deleting all previously existing partitions!

Installing ESXi as a virtual machine is an option, if you want keep the existing operating system and only want to try/evaluate ESXi.

André

0 Kudos