VMware Cloud Community
chicojr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vnic upgrades

Finding conflicting direction on the interwebs, seeing if anyone has a direct path to upgrade vnics for multiple servers? Key would be to not have to reboot the vm itself or change out hidden adapters and mac addresses.

I found this and seems like the only approach.

http://vmwarebits.com/content/how-to-change-network-adapter-to-vmxnet3-for-windows-guest

If anyone has a valid powershell script that can change vnic from what ever it is to a vmxnet 3 without a reboot and changing anything out manually I would appreciate it.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, those appear to be the correct steps, but you should test in a lab environment first to validate they work for you. It's also important to ensure you have your VMtools updated *first* before you add the VMXNET3. Being on later versions of ESXi will probably help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

While it's possible to do, in my experience it inevitably leads to performance or stability issues until that initial reboot is done.

0 Kudos
chicojr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So, are the steps then correct that are outlined in that url?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, those appear to be the correct steps, but you should test in a lab environment first to validate they work for you. It's also important to ensure you have your VMtools updated *first* before you add the VMXNET3. Being on later versions of ESXi will probably help.

0 Kudos
chicojr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

sorry for the delayed question, but with windows 2000 and 2003 servers can these be ugraded to vmxnet3 as well?

0 Kudos