VMware Cloud Community
Matthydras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmware 5.5 Distributed Architecture and UpdateManager installation

Hello everybody

I have installed a new Vmware vCenter 5.5u2.

Actually, I have 2 servers for this new architecture :

1. The first one with SSO, Inventory and the Webclient
  2. The second one with SQL Server and vCenter Server

My question is : Can I install the Vmware Update Manager on the first server (adapting RAM) and linked the VUM to the SQL Server database on the second one (using ODBC source) ?

If not, which are the recommendations when we choose a Vmware 5.5 "Distributed Architecture".

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards

Matt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Matthydras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello MKguy

I would have feedback of customer to make sure that solution could be well on vmware production solution.

Thanks you for your reply i install the VUM on my vm with have SSO, inventory and Webclient and used sql server install on the vcenter server.

I choose this solution for keeping the vcenter server solution on one dedicated server and create a multi-services vmware server.

In addition, for security reason, i prefer opened firewall rules for the vmware multi-services server and not vcenter server.

Have a nice day

Best Regards

Matt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

My question is : Can I install the Vmware Update Manager on the first server (adapting RAM) and linked the VUM to the SQL Server database on the second one (using ODBC source) ?

Yes, you can. You are free to install VUM on either of the two systems, or even on a completely new different system if you want to. You specify the appropriate DB/ODBC and vCenter server during the setup and VUM will point to them. It doesn't matter where the components are installed as long as the systems can communicate with each other over the corresponding network ports.

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
Matthydras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello MKguy

I would have feedback of customer to make sure that solution could be well on vmware production solution.

Thanks you for your reply i install the VUM on my vm with have SSO, inventory and Webclient and used sql server install on the vcenter server.

I choose this solution for keeping the vcenter server solution on one dedicated server and create a multi-services vmware server.

In addition, for security reason, i prefer opened firewall rules for the vmware multi-services server and not vcenter server.

Have a nice day

Best Regards

Matt

0 Kudos