Windows Server 2008 R2, 700 users and a lot of groups in AD
I was finally able to install vSphere Server, ref. earlier forum post "Installing vCenter Server 5.1 fails on Registering with vCenter Single Sign On".
After I have installed the server, I am not able to start it, the service is stuck on "Starting". No error messages, no messages at all.
Ref. KB 2034975, how long am I supposed to wait before the server starts, minutes or hours?
In SSO, am I supposed to put my AD Domain indentity source under Default Domains?
Base DN for users and groups are set to: CN=users,DC=mydomain,DC=no to limit the users and groups.
Anybody have a solution for this?
Same issue here.
VirtualCenter Server 5.1 service stuck in "starting" state.
Client is unable to connect.
Was fine on 5.0
Also noticed many instances of java and vmware converter running in the background in task manager.
Java instances are taking up about 1.3 GB total RAM.
Seems a bit excessive.
I had this problem yesterday. What it turned out for me is the password that the ESXi Hosts used to register with VCenter was not the correct encrypted length.
See this KB article.
Basically you will check the length of the password field in your database. If its less than 345 I believe you will clear out the password. Then you need to restart your VCenter server, the service will now start.
Once you can log back into VCenter however, you will have to re-enter the password to connect each ESXi Host.
Good luck and let us know if thats the problem.
I ran into another issue earlier durring the upgrade where some of the certs were already expired, I just had to delete them and run the process again and it would create new certs that were valid for 10 years.
I don't think this is your problem, but anyone having issues should check this also.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\SSL
If your rui certs are expired, copy all thre rui.* out of that folder into a new folder (or delete them, I prefer to keep a copy just in case).
Re-run the failing process and it will create new ones.
I am pretty sure this was durring the install of the SSO Service, Inventory service, or the VCenter service... and not so much durring startup of the vcenter service.
I am having the same issue. It was working fine till yesterday. Today this happend suddenly.
The log says :-
2012-11-03T12:09:48.101+05:30 [04728 info 'utilvpxdVdb'] [VpxdVdb::SetDBType] Logging in to DSN: vcenter with username ******
2012-11-03T12:09:48.132+05:30 [04728 error 'utilvpxdVdb'] [VpxdVdb::SetDBType] Failed to connect to database: ODBC error: (08004) - [Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
--> ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
--> Process ID: 0
--> Session ID: 0 Serial number: 0
--> . Retry attempt: 193 ...
Why this happens.. my oracle is started and running.....i am seeing the started status in services window.
Vcenter and DB runns on the same machine.
Also 3/4 of the system resources is used by java(7 process)and oracle(3 process)