VMware Cloud Community
sysmast
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter Server (former virtual center) fails to install, error connecting to data source

Overview:

Vcenter Server upgrade from 2.5, get past upgrade database (yes i did a backup), choosing service account, and default port numbers. Click Install and I get an error box "Error occurred while connecting to the Data Source"

Troublshooting so far:

Ensured correct SQL user password, entering a bad password produces a different error 3-4 steps sooner. Also ODBC settings test OK.

I am following best practices. as outlined

Most importantly:

• Grant the System DSN user
    of the vCenter Database db_owner privileges on the vCenter
    database.

• Grant the System DSN user
    of the vCenter Database db_owner privileges on the MSDB
    database.

Microsoft SQL must use the SQL Native Client

driver.

And stopping the service before starting the upgrade.

The install of 2.5 was a clean install only a year ago.

Anyone have any thoughts on what i'm missing?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rbos3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi sysmast,

Did you edit the existing ODBC connection or created a new one?

I suppose the upgrade is installed on the same machine as your 2.5 VC? So I don't have to tell you that on a 64-bit machine, you have to use a different ODBC configurator (32-bit version).

I'll be hearing from you!

René

---

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!

---

--- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks! Visit my blog at http://snowvm.com ---
0 Kudos
sysmast
Contributor
Contributor

rbos3,

I did not make any changes to the ODBC. I opened ODBC to make sure I was using the right password and to TEST the db connectivity, to the extent that the ODBC tool in windows can test it.

Since this is just a 2.5 to 4.0 upgrade (one version behind currently) do i need to do anything to the ODBC for it to work?

Thanks,

me

0 Kudos
rbos3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi sysmast,

There is no difference in configuring an ODBC connection with Virtual Center Server 2.5 and vCenter Server 4.0

So that configuration should be just fine. What SQL server are you currently using?

René

---

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!

---

--- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks! Visit my blog at http://snowvm.com ---
0 Kudos
sysmast
Contributor
Contributor

OK, i was worried for a moement, i thought i read all the docs and didn't remember any thing about changing ODBC, I was like, 'what elese did i miss!!!"

SQL 2005 Standard SP3 is the DB, on a sepeart box that just runs SQL.

0 Kudos
rbos3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi sysmast,

Ok that's great! We can be both 100% sure that database works with vSphere.

Have you seen the upgrade doc?

Maybe we are missing some pre-requisites. In some cases you need to do a clean install and upgrading isn't possible.

René

---

---

0 Kudos