VMware Cloud Community
cef2lion
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter 4.0U2 to 4.1

Yesterday I upgraded one of our sites Vcenter without issue from 4.0U2 to 4.1. On another site today I got an SQL script error message. The upgrade completed but Vcenter will now not start. We are running Windows 2008 64 bit on for Vcenter. I noticed the SQL transaction log was getting large. I backed up the transaction log to reduce its size. Vcenter still will not start. I have a backup prior to the 4.1 upgrade.

At present I'm planning on restoring the database and reinstalling Vcenter 4.0U2. Any ideas why the upgrade failed?

Craig

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

any errors in the event log, which may help pinpoint the issue?

0 Kudos
cef2lion
Contributor
Contributor

Very generic errors in the MS event log.

0 Kudos
cef2lion
Contributor
Contributor

Restored VC database to 4.0U2 from a day ago. Uninstalled VC 4.1. Installed VC 4.0U2. VC is back up and running again. Sitting idle for awhile before trying upgrade again.

Craig

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ODBC? 32 / 64 bit? Check all your DNS names and IP's maybe something simple got mistyped... just a shot in the dark.

Thank you,

Express

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
cef2lion
Contributor
Contributor

I reviewed the database update log and I saw the issue. I was low on disk space on the SQL database as the database was being updated. I added more disk space to the SQL server and I shrank the transaction log file.

I ran the 4.1 update again and no issues this time and the Vcenter service started ok.

Craig

0 Kudos
XModem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To prevent SQL transaction logs from filling up all diskspace on upgrades/maintenance/imports, consider setting the SQL Database Recovery Model (within Properties of the DB) to "Simple" - if you need to backup transaction logs later on again, you should switch back to "Full", if not leave it to "Simple".

0 Kudos