VMware Cloud Community
harkit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware vSphere Advanced Acceleration Kit

How does the VMware vSphere Advanced Acceleration Kit work? How many hosts does it support? I have two servers both with 2 quad core processors. I want to implement both servers with a vcenter and fault tolerance, then eventually add a third identical server. What package will work for me?

We currently have the essentials kits in place on two other servers. The essentials kit clearly states its for 3 hosts (max 2 processors per host and 6 cores per processor)

This package would work perfectly but we want the fault tolerance for our new setup. That is why I'm leaning towards the VMware vSphere Advanced Acceleration Kit.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As you already mentioned, the Essentials Kits are limited to 3 hosts. That's it.

The Acceleration Kits are discounted starter kits which contain regular licenses. You can only purchase 1 of these kits per location. The Advanced Acceleration Kit includes vSphere Advanced for 6 processors and vCenter Server Foundation. You may use the processor licenses as you want, e.g. for 3 x 2 CPU hosts or 1 x 2 CPU + 1 x 4 CPU, ... If you ever need more then 3 hosts you can upgrade the vCenter Server Foundation license to vCenter Server Standard and purchase additional processor licenses. see http://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/buyvsphere-acceleration-kits.html

AFAIK there are options to upgrade from Essentials Plus to the Advanced Acceleration kit. Ask your VMware dealer for details.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
tietzjd25
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes you can have 3 hosts, you will have to rebuild Vcenter though as your going from Enst kit to full kit.

Joe Tietz VCAP-DCD Solutions Architect
harkit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, so it work by processor right? So if all my servers only had one processor I could have 6 hosts? Since the kit is for 6 processors total? Can the number of processors be upgrade from 6? If I wanted 4 servers. How many hosts can the vcenter manage?

Sorry, I'm a little new to this and have a lot of reading to do. I'm just trying to get the software ordered first.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As you already mentioned, the Essentials Kits are limited to 3 hosts. That's it.

The Acceleration Kits are discounted starter kits which contain regular licenses. You can only purchase 1 of these kits per location. The Advanced Acceleration Kit includes vSphere Advanced for 6 processors and vCenter Server Foundation. You may use the processor licenses as you want, e.g. for 3 x 2 CPU hosts or 1 x 2 CPU + 1 x 4 CPU, ... If you ever need more then 3 hosts you can upgrade the vCenter Server Foundation license to vCenter Server Standard and purchase additional processor licenses. see http://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/buyvsphere-acceleration-kits.html

AFAIK there are options to upgrade from Essentials Plus to the Advanced Acceleration kit. Ask your VMware dealer for details.

André

0 Kudos
harkit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help guys

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

@ tietzjd25

Unless I'm missing something, there's no need to reinstall anything. Simply replacing the license keys should unlock the features of the new edition since the binaries are the same.

André

0 Kudos
tietzjd25
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I might be reading to much in to this, but my Consult vibe tells me that original poster is running 32 bit version of vCenter on 32 bit OS. Not 64BIt version of vCenter on 64 Bit OS. This would require rebuild, sorry I did not explain was pumping out quick answer before I left yesterday.

Joe Tietz VCAP-DCD Solutions Architect
0 Kudos