VMware Cloud Community
ajesha008
Contributor
Contributor

VMware vCenter Update Manager Extension- Plugin not available

VMware vCenter Update Manager Extension- Plugin not available in vSphere client after I installed the plug-ins from manage plugin snapin.

When I click on "Donload and install" from "Available plug-ins" Installation succeeds but after the installation it is not visible in "Installed Plug-ins"

Also I can see "VMware vCenter Update Manager Client" in my add or Remove Programs.

My laptop : Win XP SP3

vCenter Server is Win2K8 Standard, and update manager is working fine on it.

Could some one help with this.

7361_7361.JPG

Thanks,

Ajesh

0 Kudos
16 Replies
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

Does restarting vSphere Client help you?

---

MCSA, MCTS, VCP, VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
ajesha008
Contributor
Contributor

I did try all those stuffs restarting the client and my PC, no hope..

0 Kudos
rodenis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a problem almost like this, but i can not enable the plugin for Update Manager, it gives me the message "There was an error connecting to VMware vCenter Update Manager"

only that the vSphere Client is running in the vCenter Server 4 with VUM installed.

Any idea?

I already checked the IP of the vCenter server in the vci-integrity.xml and restarted the Update Manager service.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

Check firewall settings.

---

MCSA, MCTS, VCP, VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
ajesha008
Contributor
Contributor

Rodnis,

For your issue check the registery value for "VCUsername" on the following path on your UpdateManager Server. The value should be same as the usr ID used to start the "VMware VirtualCenter Server" service, if not update it in that way and restart the "VMware Update Manager Service"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware Update Manager

Note: Try to run your VUM service and VirtualCenter service using the same user ID. Also make sure the service account you use is a domain ID not the local system account.

-Ajesh

0 Kudos
rodenis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Ajesh!,

I did change the user with other user with Admin privileges, but still the same message.

here wath i found in the logs but I dont undestend the error.

Thanks once again!

rodenis

0 Kudos
ajesha008
Contributor
Contributor

Rodnis,

Are you using domain user ID to start UpdateManager and Vcenter server service?

Thanks,

Ajesh

0 Kudos
rodenis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ajesh,

Actually, I`m using the Local System account to start both services.

Should I change this?

Thanks!

rodenis

0 Kudos
ajesha008
Contributor
Contributor

I would say try it out with domain account to start the service, also same account should have access to the UM database.

0 Kudos
ajesha008
Contributor
Contributor

I've fixed my issue by removing all the quotes (") from the environment variable Path.

0 Kudos
Minimouse
Contributor
Contributor

Ok. Here's the solution :

As said above, edit the PATH variable on your system, remove the last " (quote) that has nothing to do here. Close the VI client and reopen it.

You should now see the UM Client plugin status saying "Enabled" and might access the Update Manager from "Home" tab in the vCenter.

Mini.

0 Kudos
RobVM
Contributor
Contributor

Mini-

Are you using the EqualLogic VMware Snapshot Manager? I am, and your fix worked. The part of the PATH statement that was broken for me was the VMware Snapshot Manager, so I think it is a bug in the EqualLogic installer.

-Rob

0 Kudos
nurseware
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for this thread! Just saved me hours of banging my head. I, too, have the EqualLogic VMware Snapshot Manager installed. Removing the trailing " from the Path variable solved the issue.

0 Kudos
mbender71
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much minimouse!!

I too had the trailing quote from the EqualLogic Snapshot Manager entry in the PATH.

As soon as I cleaned that up and restarted the vSphere Client all my plug-ins appeared

and worked!

0 Kudos
kdon
Contributor
Contributor

On mine the plug-in does not even show up? It is installed as well. When i go to run the update manager .exe it ask's to remove and i don't want that. This runs as local service and I am able to stop/start it at will. vcenter is on Server 2008 Enterprise. No tab or even listed on the plug-in page.

Any help would be great!

I checked the PATH variable and I have nothing with quotes?

0 Kudos
kdon
Contributor
Contributor

A reinstallation of update manager resolved the issue for me. I am not sure what the deal was?

0 Kudos