VMware Cloud Community
vijay_0812
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Vsphere on IBM Hardware

Hi,

For new requirement of a Mid-size company, we are looking for virtual solution to move good number of physical application servers to virtual machines. Company is already owning good number of IBM boxes. so we are planning to install Vsphere4 or VMware ESXi (free).

Which model of IBM Server Hardware is recomonded to host Vsphere4 or VMware ESXi (free). Company is ready tobuy that specific IBM Server model even though currently company is owning good number of IBM Servers.

Also, what is the support level differences between Vsphere4 and VMware ESXi (free)

Please suggest us.

Thanks

Vijay Nalla

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have run vsphere esx and esxi pn the x3550 series and the x3650m2 with some pretty spectacular results.

My main server x3650m2 with 12 drives and the M5015 card is doing wonderful...just humming along nicely...

The main problem you will have with ersx free is backup support so I would highly suggest you look at the foundation packages and get VC and then something like veeam, esxpress or vranger for backups.

0 Kudos
arunrj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you are planning to procure new Server Hardware, always check whether the intended server is supported under the VMware Certified Compatibility Guide.

URL : http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

1.ESXi 4.0 or ESXi 3.5 Free Edition cannot be managed using vCenter 4 Server or Virtual Center 2.5 Server.

2.All the backup solutions do not support the Free ESXi Edition.

3.You can have only read-only access when using PowerCLI or RemoteCLI to a free ESXi Host.

vijay_0812
Contributor
Contributor

thank u so much,

it is helpful to me

0 Kudos
arunrj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please assign points if my post has been useful.

0 Kudos