VMware Cloud Community
rpfrogner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Essentials Install / Licensing

I've been running ESXi6.7 for quite a while, but never through vCenter/vSphere.  I just decided to purchase vSphere Essentials to give that a try, but cannot import either of my 2 hosts for a license failure.  I have been able to add the license to be assigned to each host directly on that host, but I cannot import it for vCenter/vSphere management.  Every attempt give the error "License not available to perform the operation" with the Error Stack of " The VMware vSphere 6 Hypervisor license for "Host" vmware02.local" does not include "vCenter agent for VMware host".  Upgrade the license.

This is a brand-new ESXi 6.7 install w/no modifications.  I'm unclear what's missing or what I need to fix - I'm hopeful there isn't actually some other license I need to buy in addition the the vSphere Essentials that I bought out-of-pocket.   Any ideas/guidance appreciated.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
the licenses you have in the vCenter server are for version 7.0 and the ESXi hosts are in version 6.7 but they are not licensed.
The vCenter Server cannot manage them without a valid (not free) license.

In your case you have to upgrade the ESXi hosts to version 7.0 to be able to assign them the licenses (version 7.0) that are in the vCenter server.

It is recommended to enter the license in the ESXi host where the Vcenter Server is located as a VM

Another option is to log in to My VMware where you register your VMware vSphere Essentials kit and downgrade licenses to version 6. In this option you would have to reinstall the vcenter server to have all the licenses in order.

How to Upgrade or Downgrade License Keys in My VMware with troubleshooting steps (81665)

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/81665

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

So from what I understand, you've replaced the free Hypervisor license key with the Essentials license key on your hosts?
Can you please confirm/verify that - after a re-login to the hosts - that the Essentials license still shows up?

André

0 Kudos
rpfrogner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes- after logging out and back into the ESXi 6.7 client locally, the Essentials license key remains on each of my two hosts (named vmware01 and vmware02).

The vCenter server is the only guest running on vmware02, which is a brand new install of ESXi6.7.0.  On that server I never installed any other license.  vmware01 previously had a free license, which I successfully replaced with the Essentials license.  But both are exhibiting the same error.

They are all in the same subnet - no firewall between the mgmt interfaces.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unless you've enabled automatic start for VMs, you may try and see whether restarting the Management Agents - that can be done from the console (DCUI) - resolves the issue.

André

0 Kudos
rpfrogner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ran the following on vmware02:

/etc/init.d/hostd restart

/etc/init.d/vpxa restart

when I attempted to add the host, it did not result in any change, so I ran "services.sh restart" and tried again.  Same error.

I assume this is repeatable, as it's just straight out-of-the-box.  The only configuration I've added is to provide IP addressing and hostnames, it's otherwise all defaults.  If there are other steps required to properly configure the vCenter server, I likely overlooked them, as I've no familiarity to date (that's what I'm hoping to gain).

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.

The vSphere Essentials Kit licenses are perpetual and does not expire. It includes 6 CPU licenses of vSphere Essentials (for 3 servers with up to 2 processors each) and 1 license for vCenter Server Essentials The support term includes updates and new releases of the selected product during the time frame selected.

You entered the vCenter Essentials license that came as part of the kit on the vCenter Server?

Enrique Espinel
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
rpfrogner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm doing this from my mac, utilizing the vsphere web client.  Unsure if that's relevant, but I do not have a thick-client on a windows system.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

IMO you're doing nothing wrong. It simply looks like the ESXi host didn't recognize it's new license key correctly. Is it possible to restart the hosts to see whether this helps?

André

0 Kudos
rpfrogner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I shut down the vCenter server VM and rebooted the ESXi host.  Brought everything back up, but got the same results.  Always runs through to 100%, then gives the licensing error are fails.

0 Kudos
rpfrogner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I entered the  vSphere vCenter license for the vCenter server and successfully assigned it.  I simply cannot get either of my 2 ESXi6.7 hosts imported to the vCenter Server.  I created a single Datacenter (called Datacenter) and attempt to import, but it fails with the referenced error on both hosts with each try.

0 Kudos
rpfrogner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I do have an "Alarm - Warning" that says "Registration/Unregistration of third-party IO filter storage providers fails on a host".  All storage on both ESXi hosts are SSD on SATA connections from motherboard.

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.

also include in vCenter Server the license for ESXi (licenses of vSphere Essentials ) and try to add the ESXi hosts to vCenter again.

Please capture an image of the vCenter server's license tab (covering the keys)and put it in the post

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos
rpfrogner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here's my licensing screenshot

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 5.12.29 PM.png

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.

please remove the first license (vmware vShpere hypervisor 6) from the list on the vcenter server
only licenses 7 must be present.

Now try again to include the ESXi host in the vcenter server,
please capture and paste the screen if it shows any error.

Please indicate the vcenter server build you have and the ESXi Host build to validate compatibility.

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos
rpfrogner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Enrique - thanks for the help!

It seems when I attempted to import my vmware01 host, that license was imported to vcenter and looked like the correct choice in the drop-down list when adding a new host (given the other option was "evaluation license") and it came up highlighted as the default.  Given my lack of familiarity, I simply let that go.  After removing the license from both the vCenter server and the ESXi host, the only license options in the install was the Evaluation License, which I accepted, and now the host imported. But it is still running on the evaluation license.  When I attempt to assign a license, nothing is available.  My impression when purchasing the Essentials Kit was that ESXi6.7 hosts were supported.  Is that not accurate, do I need to upgrade?

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 6.58.15 AM.png

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
the licenses you have in the vCenter server are for version 7.0 and the ESXi hosts are in version 6.7 but they are not licensed.
The vCenter Server cannot manage them without a valid (not free) license.

In your case you have to upgrade the ESXi hosts to version 7.0 to be able to assign them the licenses (version 7.0) that are in the vCenter server.

It is recommended to enter the license in the ESXi host where the Vcenter Server is located as a VM

Another option is to log in to My VMware where you register your VMware vSphere Essentials kit and downgrade licenses to version 6. In this option you would have to reinstall the vcenter server to have all the licenses in order.

How to Upgrade or Downgrade License Keys in My VMware with troubleshooting steps (81665)

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/81665

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos
rpfrogner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Enrique - I upgraded one of my hosts and all is fully functional.  The other maintains critical network components, so I'll need to find a window for that, but confident now that I can import it to my new vCenter server.

Thanks again!

Rob

0 Kudos