VMware Cloud Community
dchapman00
Contributor
Contributor

VMware 5.0 to 5.5U2 update cumulative?

Hi again.,..

We are about to update from ESXi 5.0 to ESXi 5.5U2, and I am wondering if the 5.5U2 update is cumulative.  Can I just download the 5.5U2 iso, burn the disc then update?   Do I have to install 5.5 then update 1 then update 2? :smileyconfused:

Thanks,

--

David Chapman

dchapman@victoriataxi.com

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, the interactive CD upgrade will work fine if your hardware is supported and you don't need additional drivers.

For supported hardware see the VMware Compatibility Guide. What you may also consider to do - unless already done - is to apply the latest firmware patches to the host prior to upgrading ESXi.

André

dchapman00
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you André.  We do have to swap out an Adaptec 29320LPE for an Adaptec 2120S.  Other than that our hardware is good.

By 'apply the latest firmware patches to the host' do you mean MB BIOS updates etc?

Thanks again,

--

David Chapman

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> By 'apply the latest firmware patches to the host' do you mean MB BIOS updates etc?

Yes, exactly. I usually do this together with upgrading a host, since this requires downtime anyway.

André

dchapman00
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, André.

Will I also have to upgrade the VCenter Server or the Appliance, or is this all done at the time of the ESXi upgrade?

Thanks,

---

David Chapman

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With vCenter Server in place, you need to upgrade vCenter prior to upgrading the host(s). vCenter Server 5.0 cannot manage hosts with a later version. For supported configurations, see VMware Product Interoperability Matrix

André

0 Kudos
dchapman00
Contributor
Contributor

Is this what I need:

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VC55U2&productId=396

Do I just download and burn: VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.5.0-2105955-20140901-update02.iso

Then boot from the DVD?  I can't find instructions for dummies......

Do I update the appliance as well? VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-5.5.0.20000-2063318_OVF10.ova

Thank you,

--

David Chapman

0 Kudos
dchapman00
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you ashwinick.

Are these updates done in the order presented?  Appliance first then VCenter server?

And I understand that these are done before the upgrade to VMware 5.5U2?

Thanks again,

--

David Chapman

0 Kudos
dchapman00
Contributor
Contributor

Well, folks we did it.  Our upgrade from ESXi 5.0 to ESXi 5.5U2 has been running for a week.  There was a little fumbling getting the VCenter Server and Appliance updated and running, and we have the expected VSphere Client on XP problem.  We can connect to the host, though, so that is good enough for our purpose.

Also, for now our decprecated Adaptec 29320LPE and attached tape drive are working fine.

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice.

--

David Chapman

0 Kudos