VMware Cloud Community
turtle2472
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMs fail to start on recently upgared ESXi server (6.0 to 6.5) Transport (VMDB) error -45: Failed to connect to peer process.

I use the free version in a home lab setup so I can learn and better utilize VMs for various needs.  I found a guide that walked through upgrading my ESXi server to 6.5 using the command line since my server is headless.  The command I ran was:

esxcli software profile update -d https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/main/vmw-depot-index.xml -p ESXi-6.5.0-20170104001-standard

The CLI feedback was upgrade successful and reboot.  So I did and now when I log into the web GUI I see the version next to my hostname:

Version: 6.5.0 (Build 4887370)

Under "Configuration" and Image Profile though it lists differently:

(Updated) ESXi-6.0.0-20160302001-standard (VMware, Inc.)

Now when I try to power on the two VMs on the machine they fail to start with the following error (Key and VM names are different):

Power On VM

Key                     haTask-13-vim.VirtualMachine.powerOn-114927889    

Description         Power On this virtual machine

Virtual machine  jumpstreet

State                  Failed - Transport (VMDB) error -45: Failed to connect to peer process.

Errors                Transport (VMDB) error -45: Failed to connect to peer process

I've searched and search different engines and nothing is coming up for error -45. Any help would be greatly appreciated in getting these VMs running again.  One of them is kinda important to me and I really goofed it up because I upgraded the VM to HW type 13 and can't download and use it on my Fusion Pro.  Thankfully I didn't make that mistake with my zabbix server and was able to migrate it to another machine.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
turtle2472
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The issue was the unlocked I had running allowing Apple VMs to run on Dell hardware.  That doesn't work anymore because I had to uninstall the unlocker thanks to the details in this thread.

upgrade esxi from 6.0 to 6.5,VM can't power on

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
turtle2472
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The issue was the unlocked I had running allowing Apple VMs to run on Dell hardware.  That doesn't work anymore because I had to uninstall the unlocker thanks to the details in this thread.

upgrade esxi from 6.0 to 6.5,VM can't power on

0 Kudos