VMware Cloud Community
BGXRay
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare om FSC Celcius R630

I'm running VMWare ESXi 3.5 on some older Celcius R610, working fine. I now want to install om a Celcius R630, which have faster front side bus, and is 64bit. I have tried using ESXi 3.5, and 4.0, but they both report that I have a problem : "Unsupported BIOS setting (CPUID is limited). Disable 'Limit CPUID value' or 'Support legacy/NT4 OS' in BIOS".

I have the last BIOS update, I have tried all different settings in BIOS regarding CPU features, but no CPUID setting is not available for changing, and I have not been able to make it work.

I would be grateful for any help in getting this up and running.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Verify theat you client is on HCL.

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
BGXRay
Contributor
Contributor

The computer is not supported, and I would not expect it to be. this is a workstation, not a server.

The point is - I use some older machines to test new VMs etc. before I put them into the "real servers". I have been using an older Celsius workstation - R610 - and it works fine. I now wish to move on to R630, which has a fater bus and fater disks, better RAID-configuration... All in all - faster! It it also 64bit, while the R610 is 32bit.

I was hoping someone had experience with the problem I experience. I would guess that this would apply to a lot of different machines. Btw. the ESXi 3.5 also gave the same message, on this plattform.

0 Kudos
BGXRay
Contributor
Contributor

Was never able to make ESXi run on the R630, but works ine on M460, and on some other hardware I have found.

For testing end playing, it's nice to be able to have some cheaper hardware, instead of buying a server.

0 Kudos